fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":l4cfgwya said:
That's my one complaint about Bakeart ht barbwire. No real spool on their rolls. Those 2 little plastic things ain't worth a crap when you get down close to the end of the roll.

greybeard":31axsbte said:
callmefence":31axsbte said:
That's my one complaint about Bakeart ht barbwire. No real spool on their rolls. Those 2 little plastic things ain't worth a crap when you get down close to the end of the roll.

We need to get you some Tornado barb wire so you can develop more complaints for Bekaert products.

yeah when it gets to the end that roll makes a friggin mess. and jams up turning..its a real pita. that wire wont do that with the metal frame like that?

dieselbeef":2pairmay said:
that wire wont do that with the metal frame like that?

Every once in awhile, but not nearly as bad.
Years ago, decades..all wire I used came on a spool frame like that, but the wire itself had it's own problems. Stretch and stretch and stretch, then get loose again just on it's own and it rusted all the heck. It's why I started using Bekeart ht. A little harder to work with according to some, but in 5 years, it don't look like it was put up in the late 1800s.

greybeard":2k96ap6g said:
dieselbeef":2k96ap6g said:
that wire wont do that with the metal frame like that?

Every once in awhile, but not nearly as bad.
Years ago, decades..all wire I used came on a spool frame like that, but the wire itself had it's own problems. Stretch and stretch and stretch, then get loose again just on it's own and it rusted all the heck. It's why I started using Bekeart ht. A little harder to work with according to some, but in 5 years, it don't look like it was put up in the late 1800s.

Y'all are rolling it out in the wrong direction. North rolls have to rolled to the north. East to the east etc.
It'll be stamped on there somewhere. Sometimes it's pretty small, you gotta look hard.

callmefence":1ymy8dko said:

Y'all are rolling it out in the wrong direction. North rolls have to rolled to the north. East to the east etc
Says the guy that's rolling wire out from the wrong side. You have the roll on upside down. Everyone knows that in this hemisphere, you have to unroll it off the other (right) side and if the roll is sitting horizontal, it has to come off from the top of the roll and not the bottom...

greybeard":3e5zc27u said:
callmefence":3e5zc27u said:

Y'all are rolling it out in the wrong direction. North rolls have to rolled to the north. East to the east etc
Says the guy that's rolling wire out from the wrong side. You have the roll on upside down. Everyone knows that in this hemisphere, you have to unroll it off the other (right) side and if the roll is sitting horizontal, it has to come off from the top of the roll and not the bottom...

Good eye Greybeard.. :clap:
It does make a slight difference. Agreed. Not as big a difference as toilet paper. I just threw a partial roll up there for the photo and didn't pay attention. You caught me.. :oops:

callmefence":5dglhlhn said:
greybeard":5dglhlhn said:
callmefence":5dglhlhn said:

Good eye Greybeard.. :clap:
It does make a slight difference. Agreed. Not as big a difference as toilet paper. I just threw a partial roll up there for the photo and didn't pay attention. You caught me.. :oops:

But then, if you were going south, the barbs would be upside down....wouldn't they? :???:

greybeard":1hqfpwlx said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1hqfpwlx said:
But then, if you were going south, the barbs would be upside down....wouldn't they? :???:
Just 1/2 of them...

Seems like twice as many would be upside down if it was 4 point instead of 2 point??? You sure it's just half?

callmefence":2kwxooit said:
We always roll out the bottom wire backwards on purpose so the barbs point down.
Makes the pigs squeak.

That's why they call you Fence....You think of everything. ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions":33z5bwii said:
greybeard":33z5bwii said:
Farm Fence Solutions":33z5bwii said:
Just 1/2 of them...

Seems like twice as many would be upside down if it was 4 point instead of 2 point??? You sure it's just half?

Yes, I'm sure. The other 1/2 would be downside up.

I wouldn't use high tensle wire if it was free. Hate that crap. 100% Oklahoma brand 12.5 gauge here. More expensive, but 100x better. Lasts longer, stronger, easier to work with.

Anybody ever intentionally put a Jakes wire tightener in a strand of electrified barbed wire, to be able to add tension as the need arises? Better solution available? Soon as snakes go in, I'm going to overhaul my bull pen.

No. I've used them recently to effect quick repairs after the flood, but from what I've seen, they are good for one or 2 twists at the most, but I wouldn't try to use one as a permanent fixture to continually tighten with another twist every 6 months or so..asking for the wire to break.

Now, a gripple, should fit the bill just fine. You'd just have to loosen or remove a barb as you pulled 'fresh' wire into the gripple.

Latest posts