fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":159q4mou said:
bball":159q4mou said:
Farm Fence Solutions":159q4mou said:
Parmak. Made in the Midwest.......Iowa maybe?

Naw Luke, it was a different brand.. I'm familiar with Parmak. I coulda swore it was made in Alabama maybe..pretty expensive units too, but the guys who had them raved about how good they were.
Don't know if this is who your looking for but there the best fence chargers built IMO. I bought a spare about 5 years ago and haven't needed it yet.
http://www.proshockfencecharger.com/index.html

Thanks Grit. Those look like some pretty good fenders too.

bball":6vjal7a6 said:
True Grit Farms":6vjal7a6 said:
bball":6vjal7a6 said:
Naw Luke, it was a different brand.. I'm familiar with Parmak. I coulda swore it was made in Alabama maybe..pretty expensive units too, but the guys who had them raved about how good they were.
Don't know if this is who your looking for but there the best fence chargers built IMO. I bought a spare about 5 years ago and haven't needed it yet.
http://www.proshockfencecharger.com/index.html

Thanks Grit. Those look like some pretty good fenders too.
I think your on the right track with Cyclops, Michael is a one man show. He's a retired electrical engineer just looking for something to do.

Never used pipe before in my life. Seen this today. With a pipe h-brace the rail is welded on both ends, so I always thought it doesn't need to be wired, right? Any reason this fella wired this pipe brace?

fence_it":1ot504le said:
Never used pipe before in my life. Seen this today. With a pipe h-brace the rail is welded on both ends, so I always thought it doesn't need to be wired, right? Any reason this fella wired this pipe brace?

Yes you need that wire or you'll pull the corner. Look at how Fenceman builds his corners same concept just a lot better.

I use the recipe Fence gave me for welded pipe braces. No brace wire in the ingredients, and it's not going anywhere. :wave:

My kids want to build my dad a fence for Christmas. They want to put three strands of 18 gauge barbed wire (fence will be electric) on 5"-6" cedar post. Probably be pulled from the center with a golden rod. How far apart should the post be? Also, will my ferrules for 15.5 gauge wire hold 18 gauge?

Bigfoot":3jldxl5i said:
My kids want to build my dad a fence for Christmas. They want to put three strands of 18 gauge barbed wire (fence will be electric) on 5"-6" cedar post. Probably be pulled from the center with a golden rod. How far apart should the post be? Also, will my ferrules for 15.5 gauge wire hold 18 gauge?

I can't say I've ever seen 18 gauge bw.
So idk about the crimps except I bet you can make them work. May have to fold the ends back.
If it's going to be electric and permanent I would put a tpost every 24 feet. Approx.

Fwiw
To be perfectly honest. If I was going to the labor to but in 6" wood line post. I would spend a few cents more per foot on wire. to make a fence that would hold stock without electric if necessary.
:2cents: .

18ga is usually for temporary and/or light duty fences. Can't say that I've ever seen it used here for cattle, but it might be fine for horses.
(I just looked--a roll of it (Bekaert brand) only weighs 25lbs--didn't realize it was that light)

greybeard":11o7giur said:
18ga is usually for temporary and/or light duty fences. Can't say that I've ever seen it used here for cattle, but it might be fine for horses.
(I just looked--a roll of it (Bekaert brand) only weighs 25lbs--didn't realize it was that light)

Might be nice for those water gaps we have to hike in to.

callmefence":3hxcfxos said:
Bigfoot":3hxcfxos said:

I can't say I've ever seen 18 gauge bw.
So idk about the crimps except I bet you can make them work. May have to fold the ends back.
If it's going to be electric and permanent I would put a tpost every 24 feet. Approx.

Fwiw
To be perfectly honest. If I was going to the labor to but in 6" wood line post. I would spend a few cents more per foot on wire. to make a fence that would hold stock without electric if necessary.
:2cents: .

I agree, but it's what the old man wants. He works in mysterious ways.

I think electrified barb wire is a bit dangerous, they jump when they hit it and can get caught in the next wire and can't get away from it, as well as someone trying to climb through it but if that is what he wants!!!!!!

Ken

wbvs58":als008sy said:
I think electrified barb wire is a bit dangerous, they jump when they hit it and can get caught in the next wire and can't get away from it, as well as someone trying to climb through it but if that is what he wants!!!!!!

Ken

It's fact... electric barbwire is what caused the extinction of the unicorn... :nod:

callmefence":fspvyis0 said:
wbvs58":fspvyis0 said:

Ken

It's fact... electric barbwire is what caused the extinction of the unicorn... :nod:

Are they extinct?

Ken

He changed to 15.5 gauge, so hopefully any remaining unicorns will see it, and avoid it.

Here is one of our H braces and a bit of fencing we did today. Ignore that one crooked t post. It was straightened shortly after. :D

fence_it":3sf73i8k said:
Here is one of our H braces and a bit of fencing we did today. Ignore that one crooked t post. It was straightened shortly after. :D

Looks warm there. :D How do you guys make your ends off?

We normally just tie off our ends. In the last photo it is just hard stapled so the wire could be attached to the barn to close the gap.

Been pretty chilly here lately, only got up to 46. Supposed to warm back up to 54 tommorow. :D

Got an out of town job to finish up the week then a couple thousand feet to start on Monday. Good to be out putting up some fence after the holiday break.

fence_it":lsldsu9b said:
We normally just tie off our ends. In the last photo it is just hard stapled so the wire could be attached to the barn to close the gap.

Been pretty chilly here lately, only got up to 46. Supposed to warm back up to 54 tommorow. :D

Got an out of town job to finish up the week then a couple thousand feet to start on Monday. Good to be out putting up some fence after the holiday break.

Hard stapled? Savages!!! :lol2: I'm going to give it a try today. Supposed to get up to 20, and that's usually warm enough that everything doesn't break.

Latest posts