fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":7px4ih56 said:
No. I've used them recently to effect quick repairs after the flood, but from what I've seen, they are good for one or 2 twists at the most, but I wouldn't try to use one as a permanent fixture to continually tighten with another twist every 6 months or so..asking for the wire to break.

Now, a gripple, should fit the bill just fine. You'd just have to loosen or remove a barb as you pulled 'fresh' wire into the gripple.

I didn't know the Jake's were so limited.

Tons of persimmon trees in my bull pen. Deer pretty well constantly hanging the wire. I only send the juice to it, the few months out of the year the bulls are in it.

Bigfoot":1zjzd5uw said:
greybeard":1zjzd5uw said:
No. I've used them recently to effect quick repairs after the flood, but from what I've seen, they are good for one or 2 twists at the most, but I wouldn't try to use one as a permanent fixture to continually tighten with another twist every 6 months or so..asking for the wire to break.

Now, a gripple, should fit the bill just fine. You'd just have to loosen or remove a barb as you pulled 'fresh' wire into the gripple.

I didn't know the Jake's were so limited.

Well, there's just so much room on the thing to begin with and I have bent more than one trying to get too much slack pulled out, and had to add another down the line in a different location, but mine was an extreme case where 1000' of fence had been stressed all the way down the line from water borne debris. Jakes tighteners are pretty strong, but they ain't 'that' strong.
Your bull pen may be manageable with them.

They make heavier Jakes tighteners now but haven't tried any. I use them, but it seems you only get one chance to tighten heavier wire with them. Go back a year later and they have collapsed and if it needs to be tightened again you have to add another one. But I don't like the fence too tight as it seems to just assist the frost in pulling the corners out.

Tbrake":1wi8vail said:
I wouldn't use high tensle wire if it was free. Hate that crap. 100% Oklahoma brand 12.5 gauge here. More expensive, but 100x better. Lasts longer, stronger, easier to work with.

High tensile wire is a pretty broad spectrum. Care to elaborate?

Bigfoot":khivzcc9 said:
Anybody ever intentionally put a Jakes wire tightener in a strand of electrified barbed wire, to be able to add tension as the need arises? Better solution available? Soon as snakes go in, I'm going to overhaul my bull pen.

If you ever warm up to Gripples, you'll never look back. Give me a shout if you want to sample a few.

Any type of Groucho wire. (However it's spelled) stay tuff or something like that. Beyond electric fence, that stuff is useless.

Tbrake":3jc9um96 said:
Any type of Groucho wire. (However it's spelled) stay tuff or something like that. Beyond electric fence, that stuff is useless.

With evidence like that, how could I argue?

Funny how opinions differ. Gaucho HT barbed wire is my first choice, by a large margin. I don't plan to ever use 12.5 guage again. Costs twice as much and cows respect it about as much as smooth wire.

M.Magis":26wy4il2 said:
Funny how opinions differ. Gaucho HT barbed wire is my first choice, by a large margin. I don't plan to ever use 12.5 guage again. Costs twice as much and cows respect it about as much as smooth wire.

McArthur Lumber and Post, about 2 hours from you, has 14 and 16 gauge Tornado HT barb in stock. If you ever have the chance, stop in and buy a roll of the 14 gauge and give it a try. You'll have a new first choice, by an even larger margin. :tiphat:

Tbrake":1yo2sdou said:

I've always felt pretty much the same.t he early gaucho turned off lots of folks.
Until I got my hands on some good high tensile barbwire and learned how to handle it.
I've probably stretched as much ok barbwire as any man alive. I won't use any more on my place.
You don't show a location. If you get through central Texas. Swing by I'll give you a roll of good barbwire.

Farm Fence Solutions":23dlluqc said:
M.Magis":23dlluqc said:

McArthur Lumber and Post, about 2 hours from you, has 14 and 16 gauge Tornado HT barb in stock. If you ever have the chance, stop in and buy a roll of the 14 gauge and give it a try. You'll have a new first choice, by an even larger margin. :tiphat:
Thanks, I'll give it a shot on my next project.

M.Magis":3476m1z0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3476m1z0 said:
M.Magis":3476m1z0 said:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot on my next project.

They make delivery runs to your neighborhood, so you might ask about slipping some on a truck for you to intercept. Barbed wire fun fact of the day.....It was invented by Lucien Smith of Kent, Ohio.

Anyone remember the name of the outfit that makes fence chargers here in the USA. Supposed to be very quality product...i can't remember nor find the thread.
Any help appreciated.
I think k they were deep in the south somewhere maybe..

bball":1dl0deey said:
Anyone remember the name of the outfit that makes fence chargers here in the USA. Supposed to be very quality product...i can't remember nor find the thread.
Any help appreciated.

Parmak. Made in the Midwest.......Iowa maybe?

Farm Fence Solutions":2v0969ax said:
bball":2v0969ax said:
Any help appreciated.

Naw Luke, it was a different brand.. I'm familiar with Parmak. I coulda swore it was made in Alabama maybe..pretty expensive units too, but the guys who had them raved about how good they were.

bball":ikxd8l31 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":ikxd8l31 said:
bball":ikxd8l31 said:
Any help appreciated.

Naw Luke, it was a different brand.. I'm familiar with Parmak. I coulda swore it was made in Alabama maybe..pretty expensive units too, but the guys who had them raved about how good they were.

Fencemaster in OK?

bball":25s8mlpb said:
Farm Fence Solutions":25s8mlpb said:
bball":25s8mlpb said:
Any help appreciated.

Don't know if this is who your looking for but there the best fence chargers built IMO. I bought a spare about 5 years ago and haven't needed it yet.
http://www.proshockfencecharger.com/index.html

Latest posts