fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

fence_it":3i0rlrk4 said:
This is an interesting and informative thread. Glad I found it.

One question I have, mainly for Farm Fence Solutions, is are they any major differences between fixed knot Tornado wire and other fixed knot wire like Stay Tuff or Toughstrand?

http://www.farmfencetalk.co.uk/

I'm not trying to drive business away from the CT forums, but this is a good place to see what the guys that have been using Tornado for decades have to say about it.

Thanks for the replies Farm Fence Solutions and callmefence. Me and my dad are running a fence install company and we are always looking for better products. I'll show him Tornado's website. We finally entirely switched over our woven wire from hinge joint H&W to fixed knot Toughstrand. We have put up about 10,000 feet in the last month and really love it. Stretches so much nicer and makes a much better fence.

fence_it":8f0b8c0v said:
Thanks for the replies Farm Fence Solutions and callmefence. Me and my dad are running a fence install company and we are always looking for better products. I'll show him Tornado's website. We finally entirely switched over our woven wire from hinge joint H&W to fixed knot Toughstrand. We have put up about 10,000 feet in the last month and really love it. Stretches so much nicer and makes a much better fence.

I assume you are somewhere west of the Rockies since you are using Toughstrand? It's hard to use hinge joint once you've had your hands on fixed knot. :nod:

Farm Fence Solutions":6oepugxp said:
fence_it":6oepugxp said:

I assume you are somewhere west of the Rockies since you are using Toughstrand? It's hard to use hinge joint once you've had your hands on fixed knot. :nod:

Yes. We are in Oregon. With Toughstrand coming out of BC it is readily available here. If I remember right, we used some Stay Tuff several years ago but I don't know how we got ahold of it as I have never seen it for sale here.

callmefence":10z9xwi7 said:
libertygarden":10z9xwi7 said:
callmefence":10z9xwi7 said:
Sure sounds like your brace is giving. When your pulling a wire and the other wires get slack you braces are leaning in.
Build a stronger brace. In just black soil 3' is probably you problem. Another foot can make a big difference.
Good luck
Absolutely correct, upon closer inspection, the posts are loose. I can see a gap where they leaned. I'll need to go a foot deeper. Would it help to use quickrete or just more depth and tamping?

Thanks,

As far as fixing what you already have. The best solution is to make a double brace. And make sure you plant that new post to kingdom come. The brace has probably done most of its leaning as it's compacted some soil in doing so. Buy go ahead and get it fixed up right when you can. Because you can bet when it gives it will be when you don't have time to work on it.

This is mind boggling. In dry, caliche, rocky terrain I've never had to go deeper than 60 CM (2 foot) and the corner posts stay firm for decades. I'll dig out the brace and go down 1 more foot. I just wonder if 3' was not enough, what's so magical about 4'. When the rains come, which is what happened after I did the brace, the black clay soil becomes very soft.

Thanks.

Turkeybird":1ikpa9au said:
How can one go about ordering tornado wire, mr fence?

You can throw a dot com after my screen name, or I'll PM you my cell number if you like, which is probably the simplest.

You can throw a dot com after my screen name, or I'll PM you my cell number if you like, which is probably the simplest.
This works /\ /\, guaranteed.
Just got back last night from a 2000 mile whirlwind trip thru southwest, southeast, and hill country trip thru Texas and there was a nice long USPS box waiting on the table.
Wife looked it over when I opened the bag and wife asked "Will this mean no more bloody hands and forearms for you?"
I can't wait to try it all out.

(I'm on bloodthinners and any little poke or bruise turns into a mass of bandages and bandaids)
Thanks Luke and Fenceman!

greybeard":19k5tod2 said:
This works /\ /\, guaranteed.
Just got back last night from a 2000 mile whirlwind trip thru southwest, southeast, and hill country trip thru Texas and there was a nice long USPS box waiting on the table.
Wife looked it over when I opened the bag and wife asked "Will this mean no more bloody hands and forearms for you?"
I can't wait to try it all out.

(I'm on bloodthinners and any little poke or bruise turns into a mass of bandages and bandaids)
Thanks Luke and Fenceman!

Hope you and brother had a good trip. My thoughts are with you, friend.

I get a fair amount of questions about gate operators. Haven't done a tip in a while. This is a Apollo 1500. The best for the money IMHO.

The actuator can be attached at any height. But the closer to center the better. Here the rail for the actuator and the stand for the controller is completed.

The actuator arm is 2x2 ss40. It is critical to get it level both ways. The bolt hole in the end should be as close as possible to 11" away and 6" outside the centerline of hinges. A good strong weld is needed here.

Also the top of the 2x2 arm should line up level. 1" below center of actuator bracket on gate.

The washer between the actuator and the arm is critical. Along with a little grease. VERY important, don't overtighten locknut. Just enough to get bolt to penetrate all the way.

callmefence":3kdwx19o said:
I get a fair amount of questions about gate operators. Haven't done a tip in a while. This is a Apollo 1500. The best for the money IMHO.

The actuator can be attached at any height. But the closer to center the better. Here the rail for the actuator and the stand for the controller is completed.

The actuator arm is 2x2 ss40. It is critical to get it level both ways. The bolt hole in the end should be as close as possible to 11" away and 6" outside the centerline of hinges. A good strong weld is needed here.

Also the top of the 2x2 arm should line up level. 1" below center of actuator bracket on gate.

The washer between the actuator and the arm is critical. Along with a little grease. VERY important, don't overtighten locknut. Just enough to get bolt to penetrate all the way.

Do you have any problems with people wanting you to come back and adjust/fix the openers?

That is the #1 reason we don't install them. They are so finicky and seems as if they require regular maintenance.

fence_it":15fyxhrp said:
callmefence":15fyxhrp said:

Do you have any problems with people wanting you to come back and adjust/fix the openers?

That is the #1 reason we don't install them. They are so finicky and seems as if they require regular maintenance.

The Apollo is very good at holding its adjustment. It's also very easy to adjust. When you go over everything with the customer at the end of the job.
Show them how to make adjustments.
Many will do it themselves. Of course if they ask us back we come. Their are many cheaper operators i won't install because of poor quality.
Gate openers is a big part of our business. And for the most part easy money.

Farm Fence Solutions":1ushyc1i said:
fence_it":1ushyc1i said:
Some of you fence guys will like this. Their is a group on facebook called USA Ag Fencers. It is only about a month old but has nearly 200 members. Already lots of cool pictures and info. Just thought I would share.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/548872122171061/

Looks like Ben Hartwell's tractor and driver on the cover page.

Yes. I believe he is the group administrator.

fence_it":dneflzw5 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":dneflzw5 said:
fence_it":dneflzw5 said:
Some of you fence guys will like this. Their is a group on facebook called USA Ag Fencers. It is only about a month old but has nearly 200 members. Already lots of cool pictures and info. Just thought I would share.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/548872122171061/

Don't know him.

callmefence":3vom84ih said:
fence_it":3vom84ih said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3vom84ih said:

Don't know him.

He's an east coaster......Up there where you'd need $50/foot just to walk it. :lol: We need to get you out more.

Latest posts