3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

That should protect her pretty well from the cold. We have used blankets it the past, but they kick them off as they seem to not like them much. They are no dummies either, often ours have found the warmest places in the whole barn that I would never think to put her in.

MRRherefords":zgzikav8 said:
That should protect her pretty well from the cold. We have used blankets it the past, but they kick them off as they seem to not like them much. They are no dummies either, often ours have found the warmest places in the whole barn that I would never think to put her in.
There is one specific spot Mira always lays in so I'm sure that's the spot she's deemed the warmest

Y'all I'm sucking at this feeding thing again

My dad was reading the label and happened to be reading it as I was making Mira's bottle and caught on that I have not been feeding her enough formula and have been giving her basically flavored water... I'm facepalming so hard right now.

Well it got fixed so now Mira is getting a much needed amount that's actually filling for her... Aye yai yai :/

If she pulls through, she could grow up to raise the hardiest calves ever known.

I'm just teasin, you've done better than I did on my last bottle calf. I'm pretty sure I was the reason she didn't make it.

M.Magis":2rty2keg said:
If she pulls through, she could grow up to raise the hardiest calves ever known.

I'm just teasin, you've done better than I did on my last bottle calf. I'm pretty sure I was the reason she didn't make it.
Awwww haha! Well if she pulls through without too many problems then I'll just be happy for that. I can't believe how much **** she's been through because of me or just nature in general. Bless this gal for trying to fight it though!

Mira is eating a little slower tonight. She sucked down her first two bottles fine (those were the ones with not enough formula) and she did well with the third (the one with the right amount) but this last one she drank a bit slower. She drank it all of course but she drank it a lot slower. I'm just wondering if that's from getting a proper amount and her tummy is adjusting... I'll see how she does with tomorrow mornings feeding and try to check out her droppings. I know she's pooping because I see it on her tail and bum. It's greenish brown and kinda runny but I don't see any blood specks so that's a good sign.

She's been keeping warm in the barn and seems to like the extra hay I put down for her today. She was snuggled down in it when I came to feed her.

I really wanna try to get her some outside time but it's been cold cold winds and she shivers so hard it looks like it aches so I don't wanna force her to be freezing outside. Especially since her equilibrium is still on the wonky side.

All that aside everything is seeming okay :)

wbvs58":11jtvmnt said:
I think you should have worked her up to the full strength gradually.

Ken
The others told me to do the same thing and I thought I was doing that but apparently not that well...

Slow eating this morning. Kept hearing a grumble like noise from her belly. Not the "I'm hungry" kind either.

Also, Mira is extra wobbly this morning. Swaying and stumbling extra hard again... Sighhhh. One step forward and two steps back. It's not just a song by The Desert Rose Band :(

I'm gonna try giving her more space between her feedings today. She might just still be having a hard time digesting her food and spacing her out might give her more time to digest whatever is left in her belly.

Checked her stool this morning. It's still not bloody so good sign there. But it's watery light brown. I'm thinking she has a minor case of scouring, which I know I was warned could happen after me feeding her the wrong **** for as long as I was so that might be part of why she's extra wobbly. It does make a calf a little weaker I know that much. So while she doesn't seem to have a full on case of it, she's still got enough of one that she's gonna be off kilter more than she is already I'm guessing

dun":2j6ea1rh said:
And is it all milk and milk by products, no soy and a minimum 20-20 percent fat and protein?
I took a picture of the bags back and I do not ready soy anywhere and it's definitely 20-20 for fat and protein...

I just assumed I was feeding her too much at once or something. I'm giving her two pints (1 quart) every six hours. She was feeding Fast and quickly before. Now she's not wanting to suck as much and seems to be having a hard time staying up as she feeds. She's able to walk and move but she's extra drunk moving... Maybe her tummy is just full now since she's getting the proper amount of formula to water ratio?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ropfex3 said:
Does the bag of formula come with a cup? What does the instructions say on the bag?
How much powder are you mixing with how much water? how often?
It does come with a cup.

The directions say "Add one enclosed measuring cup (approximately 10 ounces of dry milk replaced powder by weight, for best results weigh powder periodically) to 2 quarts of clean, warm water (110 degrees to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, 43 degrees to 49 degrees Celsius). Mix thoroughly until completely dissolved. Allow the milk replacer solution to cool to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees celesius) before feeding"

"For small calves (less than 80 Ib) feed 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of mixed milk replacer solution twice daily)."

"For large calves (over 80 Ib) feed 2 to 3 quarts of mixed milk replacer solution twice daily"

Since I'm only doing 1 quarts every six hours, I've only been putting half of the ten ounces in (so five ounces). Keep in mind I go by Pints so 2 pints equals 1 quarts. Meaning I'm putting in two pints with 5 ozs.

This is the first real nutrition she has had. Appears you are giving her the proper amount now. Although, it may be more than she needs at her size. Don't be too upset if she is unable to consume that much. Instructions does say under 80# only needs 1 1/2 quart 2 x day. (3 pints 2 x day, or 6 pints all day)
I am confused that she is more stumbly now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2loebeys said:
This is the first real nutrition she has had. Appears you are giving her the proper amount now. Although, it may be more than she needs at her size. Don't be too upset if she is unable to consume that much. Instructions does say under 80# only needs 1 1/2 quart 2 x day. (3 pints 2 x day, or 6 pints all day)
I am confused that she is more stumbly now.
The nutrition I'm happy she's starting to get, but yes the stumbling is still concerning. She started stumbling hard again. I mean for awhile she was stumbling but it wasn't this bad. I just don't get it... I'm wondering if I should give her another vitamin b shot...

She's pooping a lot. I'm thinking she has mild scour or diarrhea. That could be part of why she's so wobbly. I'm sure I read that it can make calves weaker.

Much better feeding this time.

I think she's not getting enough exercise. Her legs probably get stiff over night and she's still tight legged by her morning feed.

I took her outside and walked around around the calf lot to roam a bit. She did good. Follows me like a puppy and walks well enough she can almost run. She just gets the wobbles sometimes... Maybe her sight got messed up in one eye from the pinkeye she had and it makes her wobble? Hmm.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1902ae5c said:
Getting exercise is great. Is her manure like colored water or like loose pudding?
It's like loose pudding. But bright. Like bright pudding with a very mild greenish tone. It's there but it's not a prominent color

Latest posts