3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

Update on feeding!

You all are asking what I'm feeding/how much.

I am doing TWO pints THREE times a day. My bottle is a 4 Pints bottle.

You all are saying I need to feed her FOUR pints a day. FOUR Pints is 2 Quarts. Is that right? If so then I'm definitely not feeding her enough.

So it should be 4 Pints 3x a Day to be 2 Quarts 3x a day. Cause if that's the case then I'm not feeding her enough...

2 quarts twice a day. Since she is small I would break that into 3 feedings a day. But still only 4 quarts total

Today Mira has had 9 1/2 Pints.

9_1/2 Pints = 4_3/4th Quarts.

If you're saying that she needs 4 Quarts all together. Then to break that down in Pints would be:

2 Pints x 4 Times a day = 4 Quarts

Meaning I need to let her at least get 4 Quarts all together. So that means she needs 8 Pints all together. For every two pints equals one Quart.

LizHartley1991":3ing3tf6 said:
Today Mira has had 9 1/2 Pints.

9_1/2 Pints = 4_3/4th Quarts.

If you're saying that she needs 4 Quarts all together. Then to break that down in Pints would be:

2 Pints x 4 Times a day = 4 Quarts

Meaning I need to let her at least get 4 Quarts
all together. So that means she needs 8 Pints all together. For every two pints equals one Quart.

No. Not "at least 4 quarts". We're saying NO MORE than 4 quarts.

Yes, every two pints equals one quart. Your baby bottle is generally referred to as 2 quarts - instead of thinking of it as 4 pints. But, yes, she needs two bottles a day. So, you can feed her 2/3 a bottle 3 times a day. Be sure to mix the powder & water at the right ratio. Have you been warming her formula (or using warm water)?

Okau' The back of the feed bag says "3-4 Ounces per head per head per day" but that's it. It's called LANO premix. We used this same formula in the past eight years ago (not the same bag but same stuff) and back then I would give Hope the Calf three 4 liter bottles a day until she was older. She did have a pot belly but she was healthy and grew fine.

I'm sorry if I'm being frustrating. I never was good at converting stuff from one thing to another so I get flustered and confused.

So what I'm getting all together is that I shouldn't go over 4 quarts a day when feeding Mira. For me that means 8 Liters (I'm gonna read my thong as Liters cause that's how I've akways read it).

No more than 4 liters per day if you are going that route. The amount of milk formula seems awful small. Can you post a picture of the tag on the bag?

I have never heard of LANO PREMIX. The "3-4 ounces per head per day" tells me this might be something that gets mixed INTO their milk replacer.. Are you in the states or maybe Canada? You say that you are reading it as liters.

According to my conversion charts:
As conversions go, 1 liter is pretty close to 1 quart. Say in soda (pop) a 2 liter bottle is about the size of a 2 qt or a half gallon. A liter is just a little more than a quart. Yes there is a little difference but for this it is close enough. An ounce or two isn't going to make or break it.

An American pint is 16 ounces, quart is 32 ounces and 2 qts or a half gallon is 64 ounces.

So you should be feeding 2 liters a feeding. 2 feedings a day. Or break it up into smaller amounts per feeding. Many dairy farmers will feed UP TO 6 quarts a feeding for BIG calves. 2 feedings a day.

So yes, Mira should be getting 4 quarts or _4_ liters a day TOTAL. Break it up into however many feedings you want. 3 or 4 feedings is fine but the way you are converting it you are making a liter equal to a pint and it is more equal to a quart. A calf nipple bottle in the US is normally 2 quarts. That is nearly the same as 2 liters. 2 bottles per day. I feed 2 quarts ( which is 1/2 gallon) 2 times a day to my "bottle calves". They are drinking directly out of a bucket...their choice, they were into the bucket before I could pour it into the bottles so I just said go to it.

Milk replacer here is sold in usually 25 or 50 lb bags and has a "cup" inside. You use one "cup"; which actually holds about 10 oz of dry milk replacer; per 2 quart bottle of warm water. So one measuring cup provided in the bag, per 2 quarts or 1/2 gallon of warm water. I mix 2 gallons at a time for my 4 calves; and that is 4 cups per 2 gallons of warm water.

Here's pictures of the formula bag. Again I used this stuff eight years ago for my other calf and it worked.

Also I live in America, but my bottles say Liter on them. I got them from Orscheln in town and all of them are liter marked. That's why this Quartz thing is confusing because I've been feeding with Liters the whole time.

LizHartley1991":1r7g3cs7 said:
sim.-ang.king":1r7g3cs7 said:
that's mineral, not milk replacer.
Oh god... You're kidding me, right?! I fed my calves minerals?! What?! :shock:
I'm afraid you are really confused about this stuff.
Quality milk replacer will have a minimum of 20% protein and 20% fat and be all mikl and milk byproducts NO SOY. The label you posted is for cattle grazing fescue pastures. Go to you local MFA (I seem to recall you are in Missouri) and get their milk replacer, the good stuff. It wil be expensive but it will mix easily and will give the calf the nutrition it requires. Directions are on the bag as to quantity of water and solids to mix.

dun":1ctjftof said:
sim.-ang.king":1ctjftof said:
Bingo!
Oh nooooo :cry: No wonder she's wanting more! That can't be filling to her... Oh that could also be why she wasn't eating it well in the beginning and maybe that's part of the reason she's walking funny?? Ahhhhhh! I feel terrible! I'll be going to Orscheln ASAP in the morning then... I can't believe this :cry2:

LizHartley1991":32tyaj56 said:
dun":32tyaj56 said:
sim.-ang.king":32tyaj56 said:
Bingo!
Oh nooooo :cry: No wonder she's wanting more! That can't be filling to her... Oh that could also be why she wasn't eating it well in the beginning and maybe that's part of the reason she's walking funny?? Ahhhhhh! I feel terrible! I'll be going to Orscheln ASAP in the morning then... I can't believe this :cry2:
I'm sure orshlens has a decent milk replacer. Just make sure you read the ingredients closely. Frankly I'm surprised she is still alive and doesn;t have more issues then she does.

dun":1hml43qm said:
LizHartley1991":1hml43qm said:
dun":1hml43qm said:
I'm sure orshlens has a decent milk replacer. Just make sure you read the ingredients closely. Frankly I'm surprised she is still alive and doesn;t have more issues then she does.
You're telling me! Poor Mira... I'm a terrible cow mommy... :(

LizHartley1991":222q4l9b said:
dun":222q4l9b said:
LizHartley1991":222q4l9b said:
You're telling me! Poor Mira... I'm a terrible cow mommy... :(
Just learn and get it right from now on

I am sorry to say that I cannot believe that you didn't read the bag and see that no where does it say MILK REPLACER. Yes, it is a miracle that she is still alive. You have overdosed her with minerals that normally should have killed her in those amounts. That is probably most of the reason she staggers and falls because her body has concentrations of minerals that are way over the limit. MILK REPLACER... all milk based 20% protein 20% fat, with no soy, as was posted early in this discussion, is the same idea as FORMULA for human babies.... it replaces the cows milk.
And please, start her off with small feedings as her stomach will need to get accustomed to it. She will not have the beneficial bacteria to absorb the milk replacer right off the bat. Give her 1 liter or 1 qt a feeding for 3 or 4 feedings a day for a day or two at least to get her used to it. Do not be surprised if she winds up with some scours as her gut bacteria tries to readjust. She surely has a will to live, being still alive and able to get up and drink and all at this stage.

farmerjan":12raskbg said:
I am sorry to say that I cannot believe that you didn't read the bag and see that no where does it say MILK REPLACER. Yes, it is a miracle that she is still alive. You have overdosed her with minerals that normally should have killed her in those amounts. That is probably most of the reason she staggers and falls because her body has concentrations of minerals that are way over the limit. MILK REPLACER... all milk based 20% protein 20% fat, with no soy, as was posted early in this discussion, is the same idea as FORMULA for human babies.... it replaces the cows milk.
And please, start her off with small feedings as her stomach will need to get accustomed to it. She will not have the beneficial bacteria to absorb the milk replacer right off the bat. Give her 1 liter or 1 qt a feeding for 3 or 4 feedings a day for a day or two at least to get her used to it. Do not be surprised if she winds up with some scours as her gut bacteria tries to readjust. She surely has a will to live, being still alive and able to get up and drink and all at this stage.
I'm actually crying right now because I didn't buy her feed. I gave the money to my farm hand to go buy and it's the same kind we used for our last calf years back and she lived for years. Now I'm just mortified and embarrassed and dear God I was basically killing her... I feel completely terrible and I'm sure you all think I'm a complete moron for not paying attention... :cry2:

Latest posts