3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":1zm30s2k said:
LizHartley1991":1zm30s2k said:
Rafter S":1zm30s2k said:
Good luck. We're all rooting for you. To be honest, I don't generally get that emotionally invested in animals, but on the other hand I don't make any judgments about those that do (until they start equating them with people, at least). Be sure to keep the updates coming.
I'm a bleeding heart. Animals and little kids tug at my heart strings and I just get attached really hard... I don't mean to. I just do. And my dad said the same thing and said I should just look at her as a hamburger that moves but that's not my nature... I know they're not people. But I don't like seeing anyone or anything suffer. I always have to try as much as I can...

But thank you for the rooting and luck. At this point that's all it is now. Luck and Mira. I named her Mira(cle) for a reason. Maybe it'll work for her? All I can do is hope now.
You've done all you possibly can; she may surprise you and pull through. First time giving shots is horrible but you'll never learn if you don't do it - it gets waaay easier. BTW no judgment here! My BFF got way too attached to a twin steer, somewhat similar situation. Norm is now 8; he'll live out his life on that ranch as a pet/yard art.
The shot scare was more the fact I was upset I'd likely waisted the medicine I'd given her and hadn't helped her any. I did better by the third shot I had to give her but it was a nightmare. My mother kinda laughed at me because she's diabetic and told me I should've waited for her help but Mira was pretty out of it and I just wanted to get the medicine in her as soon as possible. I'm glad I got what I could in and got food in her too because that was a big scare as well. I know she's not dehydrated because she's pooping and peeing regularly. She's just not able to move and function right... So I'm glad I tried sooner than waiting til later.

There will be those that "claim" to never be affected one way or the other with nursing a sick animal, particularly a calf. Personally I feel anyone that the claim is accurate for has to be missing something in their makeup. I've been in this business in one form or another longer than the majority of the posters on here have been alive. I still get attached when when treating a sick animal and even, (horror of horrors) have some that I'm really attached to just because we click. They aren;t pets but could be with a little effort. It still doesn;t stop me from planting one if it is for the best. So don;t apologize or feel bad about being concerned and attached, I may be a poor example but even after all these years I still feel the same as I did when I got started.

I know what you mean Dun. As I said above I generally don't get emotionally attached, but I still have one cow that I inherited from my father, and I made up my mind earlier this year that she can die on the place. I just don't have the heart to load that old girl on the trailer and haul her to town.

Mira being stubborn with food. Got 1 1/2 five hours ago and 1/2 just a bit ago. She's more interested in the fact she can stand herself up again. Still stumbling around and bumping into **** but she's up and moving which I'm seeing as a good sign. Especially since she's not toppling Head first into stuff again. And she moo whined at me and went pee so she's still hydrated and that's wonderful to me! I'm hoping after tomorrow's shot I'll be able to come him from work to see she's a bit more active. Hopefully.

I also cleaned up the old barn better for her to move without tripping over as much stuff. We have all these old pieces of wood laying around that were originally used to separate the hay bales.

She makes me nervous as **** every time she trips lol

I am guilty too of being a little too much affected by how things go with the sick ones, particularly baby calves. You just do everything you can and hope for the best. Sometimes it's not up to us, desire to live plays a huge part. If one gives up on you, which it sounds like your calf has some fight, then there is not much else we can do about that. Sounds like you have made a great effort, if it doesn't work out don't be too hard on yourself.

Update: Mira ate a while 2 1/2 pints of formula and was even able to drink from the calf nipple on the bottle instead of the baster (let her drink the last half just to see how she does with it.

I was even able to take her out of the barn to enjoy the sunlight for an hour, though I didn't wanna leave her out too long since she was shivering because of the cold (it's 44 with winds that make it feel like 36). What's good is she walked out on her own and followed me around like a lost lamb (it was cute).

I lead her up to the fence to meet a few of the other cows. They were curious of her and sniffing her through the fence but she didn't really want much to do with them. She just turned around and cane right back to standing at my side. No matter how many times I lead her to the fence. That kind of concerns me since I don't want her to not be interested in her own kind... But she's also little and I'm basically mama right now so of course she'd want to be near the one that feeds her.

I also feel bad leaving her in the barn so much. I could leave the door open throughout the day and lock her up at night so she doesn't get cold, I guess. But our lot is kinda all over the place and I wouldnt want her to get into something she shouldn't or get through a loose fence or something... Ill have to try cleaning it and straightening it up better for her if I decide to try that. Might be a good idea to give her more free range.

But for now she's still doing good so fingers crossed!

I'm glad she's doing well today. And I wouldn't worry about her not showing interest in the other cattle. That will change as she gets older.

Eating wise, Mira seems to be doing great. She drank 3 full pints for me and did it all out of her calf bottle and from the nipple with not much trouble. It was nice to see since it's the first time she's done so without struggle or disinterest.

The main thing I'm still concerned for is her disoriented walk she does. It's like she's drunk and sometimes she stumbles so hard she falls over and can't stand up and then freaks out on the ground.

Another thing I worry about is Bloating since I know that can come out of nowhere with calves. And since she'd been icky for a whole week and is now devouring food like a beast I'm just constantly watching her tummy and for any abnormal action (besides the stumbling) that comes with bloating...

I know I'm probably being paranoid but dang it all I'm gonna be until she can at least make it two months or so... But then again I've heard of calves just dropping randomly six months outta nowhere soooo yeah I'm paranoid.

Otherwise she's doing okay food wise.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2q9fvfhr said:
Just don't over-feed her. Keep it at 2 quarts twice a day - or less 3 times a day. She is still weak. She won't get all her strength back in just 2 days. Besides, she is still blind, correct?
See I don't know if she is blind. Her eyes are clearing up and she seems to do better outside. She just walks wilf sometimes. Like she's drunk or can't keep herself straight. She is walking better. But she still has that stumble and fall thing going.

But u try to cut her food intake down to 2. I just don't want her to get hungry because I know she hasn't been able to intake food this well since we got her so she's an eager baby

LizHartley1991":1nn6k07u said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nn6k07u said:
Just don't over-feed her. Keep it at 2 quarts twice a day - or less 3 times a day. She is still weak. She won't get all her strength back in just 2 days. Besides, she is still blind, correct?
See I don't know if she is blind. Her eyes are clearing up and she seems to do better outside. She just walks wilf sometimes. Like she's drunk or can't keep herself straight. She is walking better. But she still has that stumble and fall thing going.

But u try to cut her food intake down to 2. I just don't want her to get hungry because I know she hasn't been able to intake food this well since we got her so she's an eager baby

I could do that without a second thought, because it's what's best for her instead of what she wants. If you feel like you just have to feed her more than twice a day that's fine, but make sure the total amount isn't more than what's recommended. Feeding her more will be harming her for the sake of making yourself feel better. I don't want you to feel like I'm beating up on you, but you seem to want to keep coming back to feeding her more than what's recommended.

Rafter S":1mnwlrz6 said:
LizHartley1991":1mnwlrz6 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1mnwlrz6 said:

I could do that without a second thought, because it's what's best for her instead of what she wants. If you feel like you just have to feed her more than twice a day that's fine, but make sure the total amount isn't more than what's recommended. Feeding her more will be harming her for the sake of making yourself feel better. I don't want you to feel like I'm beating up on you, but you seem to want to keep coming back to feeding her more than what's recommended.
Oh I do t feel like you're beating up on me at all! I'm grateful you seem to be trying to warn me. I don't wanna make her sick! I just wanna make sure I'm feeding her right and enough.

So you think 2 Pints 3 Times a day is enough then? Cause even after giving her two she seems to want more. Is that normal?

In my limited experience with bottle calves, they ALWAYS act like they're starving.
It's certainly a good thing that she wants to eat now. Hopefully she's turning the corner.

Liz, you are saying your feeding her 2 pints twice a day and Jeanne is saying 2 QUARTS a day. Do you mean QUARTS or pints. 2 pints 3 times a day is only 3 quarts.

NO We are talking 2 QUARTS twice a day - not PINTS. If you are only feeding her 2 pints at a feeding, that is not quite enough.
2 quarts is 4 pints. So, she should get 8 pints a day. While she is weak, 3 times a day is awesome for her. Great that you can do that, but as she gets stronger, you will be able to feed her the 2 quarts twice a day.
Edit: sorry I posted this before reading the other post that explained she needs 4 quarts daily.

No problem Jeanne. You are way more knowledgeable than I am, I was just trying to get Liz to clarify if she is feeding QUARTS or pints.

LizHartley1991":2ty5lepv said:
Rafter S":2ty5lepv said:
LizHartley1991":2ty5lepv said:

Oh I do t feel like you're beating up on me at all! I'm grateful you seem to be trying to warn me. I don't wanna make her sick! I just wanna make sure I'm feeding her right and enough.

So you think 2 Pints 3 Times a day is enough then? Cause even after giving her two she seems to want more. Is that normal?

Most of the powdered milk I've fed recommended 2 quarts per feeding, and feed twice a day. That's a total of 4 quarts per day. Feed her as many times as you want as long as the daily total doesn't exceed that (and be sure to check your bag to make sure I got the numbers right).

Feeding smaller amounts more often might even be better. Every bottle calf I ever raised got pot-bellied. Maybe smaller feedings would help with that. And buy a small bag of the milk replacer pellets before too long. She won't eat much of it now, but you can start putting a little of it in your hand, get her started sucking on your fingers, and then let some of the pellets dribble into her mouth to get her used to the taste. And don't give her more of that feed than is recommended either. It's pretty hot as I recall.

Rafter S made a good suggestion about the pelleted feed. What he meant by "pretty hot", is that it probably is high in protein & nutrition - which you do NOT want to over-feed any of that either.
You are doing great. Keep it up.

Latest posts