3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

LizHartley1991

Reaction score
About three days ago, one of our cows had 2 calves. Unfortunately one died and the mama freaked out and abandoned the body along with the other calf. I named her Mira (short for Miracle).

Mira was brought to me to try to care for. In the past I had a 4-6 week premature calf that I was able to raise back to health after getting it a steroid shot and a pill (Can't recall the pill since it's been eight years).

Mira is very small. I have a full grown Boxer that weighs more and is almost bigger than her. I can feel her ribs when I pet her. Her fur feels soft if not a little dry. Her eyes are red tinted and slightly glassy with some wetness coming out (It looks like tears). She can open her eyes but she often looks scared and wide eyed.

Mira can stand. At first she could only stand if we picked her up. Now she's able to get up, though she doesn't stay standing for long. She lays down and is lethargic like.

I have gotten Mira a shot from our vet and got colostrum in her. I've also gotten electrolyte and pick me up formula inside her. She seems to want to eat the hay lying around her but only nudges it with her nose and tongue. Her tongue also occasionally just wants to poke out a bit.

I'm wonder if she may have a form of scours. Or if the birthing was just that traumatic that she's in shock? She tries to get up and explore but then plops back down and curls up in a ball.

Her nose is wet and I've tried the dehydration test on her - pinching around the neck and checking her eyes etc. - and while she doesn't seem dehydrated I can just tell she's not getting enough to eat or drink. I get the bottle of replacement formula in her and she'll suck with vigor for awhile but then just stops and rips the bottle away or tries to get away from it. That's when her tongue sticks out the most is after these feedings...

I'm worried it is scour and that I'm not giving her enough help. But the vet - at the last visit on Mira's first day - said she'd need a lot of tlc and that the next 72 Hours were crucial to getting her going... I feel like I'm failing her and it's frustrating.

The only thing I haven't tried it bucket feeding. I have a bucket ready to try but she seems freaked out by it... The other step is a feeding tube down her, but I'm actually terrified to try that because I've never done it before and I'd be terrified of hurt her...

I'm hoping maybe you all have some suggestions? It's only my second calf...

At that age all she needs is milk, no hay or other feed. Make sure you're giving her a good quality milk replacer instead of whatever is cheapest, and follow the directions. You won't be doing the calf any favors by giving it more than what's recommended.
Hopefully someone that's raised more bottle calves than I have will respond, but this should get you started.

Its a baby, put food in it and let it sleep. That food is milk, and the amount depends on its size - but a couple litres a couple times a day atleast. You're over thinking the rest.

They won't usually just stand there and drink at first. I like to straddle the calf with its head between my legs and put the bottle in. That way I have some control over their calf and can keep it there to eat.

Supa Dexta":3jyiw6xc said:
Its a baby, put food in it and let it sleep. That food is milk, and the amount depends on its size - but a couple litres a couple times a day atleast. You're over thinking the rest.
Over thinking is kinda my specialty so I'm not gonna disagree with you there! I'm a bleeding heart. I get flustered sometimes awhen things don't work out like I'm expecting to... Bit thanks for the comment.

Rafter S":3mehvx14 said:
At that age all she needs is milk, no hay or other feed. Make sure you're giving her a good quality milk replacer instead of whatever is cheapest, and follow the directions. You won't be doing the calf any favors by giving it more than what's recommended.
Hopefully someone that's raised more bottle calves than I have will respond, but this should get you started.
Do you know a good brand of replacement milk to start with? I don't have the bag in front of me but the one I got was forty bucks and to me it read right like the last time I did this...

Craig Miller":2ja63lqt said:
They won't usually just stand there and drink at first. I like to straddle the calf with its head between my legs and put the bottle in. That way I have some control over their calf and can keep it there to eat.
I've been able to get her to take better when I help her stand up and make her back up into a corner. I straddle her and then I have to force open her mouth to get the bottle in. She sucks and gets going but the whole time her little tongue is fighting like she's trying to push the bottle out or get her tongue free... But she's started drinking a pint. The most I got was two in so far but sometimes- more often really - she does not want that bottle in her mouth...

You'll have to tube her, but don't give up on the bottle. Sometimes it just takes a long time to get them to nurse. Cut a bigger hole in the bottle so even if she fights it, milk gets in her mouth and she has to swallow. Sometimes doing that helps a lot. But, if you cant get it in her via a bottle, you have to tube it down. You do have to be careful with the smaller calves though. Make sure you have someone to help hold her so she doesn't struggle too much and make sure the tuber end isn't all chewed up where it will scratch going in.

Update: I tried straddling her a little better this time and changed thenipple on the bottle. The first time I got about two pints in her. The second time one and a half. The third time almost a full three ounces. This time she even sort of tried to find the nipple if I pulled away to check how much she drank and didn't have to force her mouth so much. I think it's like most of you said; she's a Baby and I'm overthinking.

Still concerned about the tongue. And now I'm wanting to figure out how to help her be warmer. It's getting colder where I am and while the barn we have her in has hay and we have covers for her, it still gets cold and this barn is very old and a good bit of the coolness gets in. And I can't get a heater in here cause she might bump it since her eyesight seems to be pretty weak. And if I try covering her up she just ends up moving again anyway... I just keep laying down hay for her and even moved a few bales for her to lay against. She seems to like that a bit...

As to brand of replacer, there are a lot of good brands. The requirements are NO SOY only milk and milk byproducts and a minimum of 20% fat and 20% protein.

Mira sounds a lot like my Tator Tot, who was a preemie, weighing only 40 lbs (that's her in my lap/avatar pic). I was fortunate she had a caring mama but she couldn't stand or nurse. She was so tiny I couldn't even tube her because the ball on the end of the tube was too big so I used small, soft/pliable, clear rubber tube & pumped the colostrum/subsequent replacer from a bucket. Helped her gain strength by holding her between my legs in a standing position and continuing to support her while taking a few steps at a time. She was eventually able to nurse after I would stand her up but her mama wasn't producing much and because she also had the "floppy tongue" I supplemented with a bottle. As Dun mentioned, NO SOY. And keep in mind, Mira is a tiny baby so she won't eat & doesn't need as much - don't over-feed her.

As far as keeping her warm, you may want to try a calf coat or even a dog coat.

I know it's frustrating! But you're doing a great job! And at least Mira will take a bottle/able to suck. My only other suggestion is Vitamin B Complex for energy.

Tator Tot was able to join the herd when she was 6 weeks old. She still had balance issues but eventually grew out of it. And she's due with her 3rd calf in March!

Rafter S":bicwtt7b said:
Where are you, and how cold is it getting?
I live in Missouri and it can get as low as negative 20 here. The extra cooler nights are just starting and that's what I'm concerned for

TCRanch":3sqiecrj said:
Mira sounds a lot like my Tator Tot, who was a preemie, weighing only 40 lbs (that's her in my lap/avatar pic). I was fortunate she had a caring mama but she couldn't stand or nurse. She was so tiny I couldn't even tube her because the ball on the end of the tube was too big so I used small, soft/pliable, clear rubber tube & pumped the colostrum/subsequent replacer from a bucket. Helped her gain strength by holding her between my legs in a standing position and continuing to support her while taking a few steps at a time. She was eventually able to nurse after I would stand her up but her mama wasn't producing much and because she also had the "floppy tongue" I supplemented with a bottle. As Dun mentioned, NO SOY. And keep in mind, Mira is a tiny baby so she won't eat & doesn't need as much - don't over-feed her.

As far as keeping her warm, you may want to try a calf coat or even a dog coat.

I know it's frustrating! But you're doing a great job! And at least Mira will take a bottle/able to suck. My only other suggestion is Vitamin B Complex for energy.

Tator Tot was able to join the herd when she was 6 weeks old. She still had balance issues but eventually grew out of it. And she's due with her 3rd calf in March!
Tater Tot is an adorable name! And sounds so small. But it sounds similar to Mira. She weighs probably 65 pounds. I can pick her up without much trouble... And she can walk around on her own if not with stubby and swaying steps. She can also get herself on her feet. She's moving. But it's like she can't understand what's going on. Her eyes are very wide and wild and sometimes they'll roll back a bit while she's sucking the bottle. She has drool and her little tongue keeps sticking out but she's not fighting the bottle as much. She also didn't like the colostrum so that could've been apart of it in the beginning. And I've taken to giving her an electrolyte pick me up drink once a day since I heard trying to give them the pick me up with the formula would hurt their bellies.

She's going pee and her poops are still a bit runny but she's not pooping so much that I'm scared of dehydration... That's my biggest concern is dehydration and getting her warm.

Since she's taking the bottle I don't think tubing would be necessary but I'm glad you suggested the small tube idea. That sounds less terrifying than the feeder tube I was looking to use if I needed to.

I'm no farmer. I grew up on a farm and ran around the land and cows my whole life but I'm no farmer and have barely any clue what I'm doing. I take care of human infants for a living right now and I guess I need to keep in mind that Mira is like them; little and new, no matter how big.

I think the main thing I'll be watching is her poop and how much she can drink (I'm sticking to 3 Pints a setting for now and if she makes it past two weeks I'll bump it to 4 unless she starts showing signs of wanting more).

I'll definitely look into a dog coat! That's very clever I would've never thought of that. If nothing I have a tone of okd and very bulky sweaters I could try putting on her too. Thank you, hun! And congrats to Tater Tot

LizHartley1991":1c5bkkun said:
Rafter S":1c5bkkun said:
Where are you, and how cold is it getting?
I live in Missouri and it can get as low as negative 20 here. The extra cooler nights are just starting and that's what I'm concerned for
Deep bedded in straw and out of the wind and drafts is all that is really needed. If you really worry about it, those condtions with a heat lamp a couple of feet above her will work. Just make sure she doesn;t get too hot.

You've had all the basic advice, and if you take care of human babies then you should have a little common sense. ALL MILK and NO SOY milk replacer. Read the label. Should have dried whey, dried milk that sort of thing. NO soy protein.
Most dairy farmers that have calves in real cold weather use a calf coat. As you said, even if you have an old bulky sweater, front legs in the "arms" , button on the underside, tie it around her so it is fitted but not too tight. But calves can get overheated so I would say a doggie or calf "coat" if it gets real cold. Once she is eating better, a deep bed of hay and the bales around her on a couple of sides like you are doing will cut the drafts. Unless you can be 100% sure of the safety, I would not use a heat lamp. It's not that cold yet. Especially if she can get into the sun during the day. DRAFTS and WET will get a calf alot quicker than just cold. Babies....human, cattle, sheep, goats, piglets.... all sleep alot the first few weeks. Sure we see them out running and playing, but if you watch, that's maybe 10-15 minutes out of every hour or two.... Much more sleeping time than "up" time.

You said you changed the nipple. I do not use a regular calf nipple, even for my normal baby calves. I use the "goat or lamb" nipple that snaps on the calf bottle. Just my way. I also do not make the hole bigger unless it is real hard to get the milk out. Some are just too small. The thing I find is that the little air hole that lets the air into the bottle as the calf sucks, so it is not like a vacuum, often is the problem, not the hole in the nipple. Too big a hole in the end of the nipple can cause a weak calf to get milk into its' lungs because it is running out and they are not swallowing, which closes off the windpipe as they suck and swallow.

Using an electrolyte feeding inbetween milk feedings is fine. If she is only taking 3 pints at a time now, then 3 times a day with the electrolyte feeding in the middle is good. Smaller calves need MORE OFTEN NOT MORE MILK, at a feeding. Their smaller stomachs cannot handle too much at a time. A little bit runny manure is not the end of the world as long as it is not like water, and doesn't have blood in it. If she is drinking, not squirting it out the other end as fast as it goes in, and is getting up to come eat.... then she will do okay. If you are near a feed store, or a Tractor supply; they make a paste/gel that has lactobacillus and probiotics that you can give once or twice a week.... helps the gut tract. Full directions on the tubes.

Don't overthink it. Sure, you want to do good, but also accept that sometimes your best is not going to be enough. There might be some other issues that you can't see, and no matter how perfect you do it, she might have internal issues that might be against her. It does sound like she is coming along, and you have made progress from the first day, so don't get too caught up in "doing it perfect". Consistent feeding is as important as anything.

Update: She didn't want to eat for me tonight. It's late and I try to feed her around 11PM/12AM before I go to sleep. I came to the barn and she's shivering real bad and only ate a pint but that might also be because I made it a bit thicker than normal by adding a well beaten egg and wanted to see how she'd do. I've done this in the past with my last calf and she seemed to like it. I think Mira liked it but because it's much thicker than normal, she couldn't stomach to get two pints down.

I made her a new deep bed of hay and made a mild square for her to lay in. I also brought a sweater down for her to wear. Gonna try putting it on her before I leave. It's not wet in the barn and there's not much wind getting inside but it's still cold. This barn was built back in the 40s or 50s. It's run down and pretty much Jerry rigged together. It hasn't housed cattle in years. But it has warm hay and keeps most of the wind off her. But there's probably still a draft coming in because well there not a good door on the barn... Sigh.

I know you can only do your best and I really feel like I am... And I know your Best won't always work out. She might very well have some crazy internal issues going on that I can't see. She got a shot from the vet and she's been doing well but tonight she's so cold. It's 38 degrees outside. That's colder than it's been I think. It's not super windy though...

I don't know. I'm just sad. I just want her to live. I know they can die even after all the work you try but I just feel like if I keep trying she can make it. Everyone around me says they think she's gonna be fine and perhaps they're right. But I'm the one who comes here every few hours to check on her and watches and observes her... And she seems to just be not so good.

She had a traumatic birth and I know that plays on things. She's getting most of her food down. She's not wet and able to curl up in a big pile of hay with an old fuzzy blanket from the 70s wrapped around her, she's not completely in the wind, she got her shots, she can stand on her own (with wobbling legs and difficulty), she can walk (again with the wobbles and stumbles) and she can react to my voice most of the time.

She doesn't seek me out to feed her. I have to pick her up to her feet and help her back into a corner and do the straddle feeding, I sit and snuggle with her even though she seems to want to either lay on me and snuggle or get away from me and try walking around...

I know you can't always come out on top. I know that... I just really want her to make it.

I'm gonna try taking her out the barn to get more sunshine on her. I'm thinking getting her some mild exercise and some sun will help her a bit. For now I'll just pray she makes the night again...

What shots did the vet give her? Shivering is good. It's the way they warm themselves. As long as her body temp stays up you've still got a chance.

dun":qus07c6b said:
What shots did the vet give her? Shivering is good. It's the way they warm themselves. As long as her body temp stays up you've still got a chance.
I can't recall what he gave her. It was either a booster or steroid shot. He's an old school vet and he went so fast with her I wasn't able to keep up. But I'm fairly certain it was your typical booster shot... I'll have to try getting a hold of him to ask tomorrow.

I don't have a way to check her body temperature. I don't have a thermometer or anything. But she doesn't feel too cold to the touch but I know that can be deceiving with cows.

It's the fact she wasn't wanting to eat that has me worried too... I know the formula I made this time was thicker than normal. She only got about 1 pint in when she's been able to get two almost three in until tonight...

I'm just wondering if I should get her an antibiotic shot... For now I have her in a new fresh bed of hay that's fairly deep with a blanket on her.

Latest posts