2 day old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

MDiamondB

Reaction score
Have a two day old calf born out of an older cow. Was doing fine now seems to be on its last leg. I treated with draxin and tubed it as soon as I seen it feeling poorly. It's rather chilly compared to what it's been lately so have it inside warming up. The cow has a bad bag. Big teets and not much milk. Any advice?

Mixed electrolytes with plain milk replacer. My thinking was that I just needed to get something in its belly since the cows udder looks the way it does.

Mixed electrolytes with plain milk replacer. My thinking was that I just needed to get something in its belly since the cows udder looks the way it does
Mixed electrolytes with plain milk replacer. My thinking was that I just needed to get something in its belly since the cows udder looks the way it does.
Usually don't mix the two. Should wait at least a couple hours after feeding MR before giving electrolytes.

Have a two day old calf born out of an older cow. Was doing fine now seems to be on its last leg. I treated with draxin and tubed it as soon as I seen it feeling poorly. It's rather chilly compared to what it's been lately so have it inside warming up. The cow has a bad bag. Big teets and not much milk. Any advice?
Pray for it, you've done some good stuff. Iodine its naval if you haven't already. Whats its temperature? Did you see it feed from the cow? sounds to me like it may have not got any colostrum. I'd bottle feed it for a few days if it isn't feeding from the mother and keep it in a clean environment and call a vet.

It sounds like its time to get rid of the cow and bottle the calf til healthy enough to sell. Or just have fun raising the calf!

It's odd, but I've NEVER had to use electrolytes. I've been lucky I guess.

I know ya don't want to mix electrolytes and milk. Make them seperate feedings a few hours apart, if you must.

Is the calf taking a bottle now?

Had to tube it again this morning with milk. It holds its head and will stand if I help it up.

Seriously?!? Most of the time, that's all a scouring calf really needs.
Yep!
A lot of times they come right out of it. Especially if it's one I've just grafted on a cow that has lots of milk! They often over-indulge themselves.

Usually only last a day or two.
If they persist more than that they get a couple blue pills and I'm done. 😆

Those type ALWAYS have FRESH water available tho. As in Fresh daily. So maybe that helps too. I've noticed they like/will drink clean fresh water better.

In this particular calf's instance its hard for me to say one way or another. I always worry. Maybe they just ain't hungry? Perhaps they nurse when I ain't looking? So many different things...
But if mama truly ain't making any milk with her big fat udder, that's a big big issue. Lots of calves are lazy first few days. But they still should want to nurse

I agree that the calf most likely didn't get sufficient colostrum. I'm a fan of Vitamin B Complex & Nursemate ASAP for compromised calves - but neither will replace colostrum. I would suggest getting the cow in the chute to determine the quality of her milk, if any. And you probably have a bottle calf. Have you taken the calf's temp?

I should also clarify. Don't think I've ever had a real "downer" either. As in one that won't stand and be active.

Been very fortunate.

Closest I came was Ellie Moo's February calf last year. But he was active as all get out. Even with his droopy/stroke like face. Just very sporadic on taking bottles.

I did have a purchased cow that lost her calf. I put an orphan on her and she took the calf immediately. Problem was, 3 days later that calf was DOWN!
Got the cow in the chute and only ONE quarter worked and it was gritty nasty milk.
Sold the cow and bottled the calf a while. She came right around with a bottle.

So yes. DEFINITELY check the cow. Guessing don't cut it when it comes to milk production

Catch the cow in a headgate and milk her out to reduce the size of her teats. Your calf may be dehydrated due to an inability to latch on. A lot of big teats will stay small after the first milking as the initial pressure is drained off and the calf learns where the groceries are kept.

Get the cow in a catch and get the calf on her, or hand milk her out into a bottle to feed. I prefer to give the cows milk over milk replacer and you might be able to get her to produce more milk by simulating a calf sucking. Sounds like the cow might have to big of teats for the calf to figure it out. Keep working at it, don't give up they are resilient little critters. I had to tube the preme I have 4 times before he could stand up to get a drink. I know it's not ideal but it worked. Warm iv fluids under the skin might help warm him too? what is his temp? A little honey on your finger might give him a boost of energy and I second the vitamin B recommendation, it will help stimulate appetite.

Latest posts