3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

She struggled a bit with her third feeding. Wanted to drink the bottle but kept stalking a bit. She got it down of course but I can definitely tell that she was having a hard time.

Thinking I'm gonna try cutting down the feeding to two large feedings like it suggests on the bag. Give her four pints (2 quarts) at 6AM and give her another two pints (2 quarts) at 6PM. Everywhere I read and even on the bag it says doing two four pint feedings a day and giving at least twelve hours on between is the best for the calves... Just wanna make sure she gets enough and isn't hungry... Maybe doing two 3 pint bottles a day is better? Though that's only 3 pints by the end of the day... Hmmmm

Number 5 & 6 on this yellow color chart are very similar to what color Mira's poop looks like right now. It's not watery. It's thick enough that is equate it to being similar to sticking your hand in kid slime that's been made wrong or gel inside an ice pack; thick but still slimy. Mucus like almost (yes I did feel it out with my hand, though not on purpose blegh ).

It's also sticking all over her bottom and making hay stick to her ass and her poor tail is covered in it as well.

Here's a newer picture of her. She doesn't stand still long enough for me to take a better picture... She's so tiny.

She's also had a bit of a hard time with this bottle tonight. I'm thinking she's not getting enough space between the bottles to digest the thicker formula. Think I'm gonna do two 3 pint bottles starting tomorrow with twelve hours between like Ive been suggested by the feed bag and multiple other sources suggesting cutting down to two larger feedings a day with more space to digest in between. Think that's a good idea.

Her poop is fine. Color is from the milk replacer and the consistency sounds right. Even the sticky part sounds normal. Just wash her butt periodically and she should be fine.

dun":1lnhw8jw said:
Her poop is fine. Color is from the milk replacer and the consistency sounds right. Even the sticky part sounds normal. Just wash her butt periodically and she should be fine.
Not sure how to wash a wobbly cows bottom but I will definitely be doing that tomorrow since it's gonna be warmer and won't freeze her as much.

Thanks for being patient with me, Dun! I know my constant updates are probably annoying... But they make me feel better and you all have been amazing <3

Bucket, warm water and a rag. Not unusual for some cows to regularly lick the calves butt "fairly" clean.

dun":9maluno7 said:
Bucket, warm water and a rag. Not unusual for some cows to regularly lick the calves butt "fairly" clean.
Eww :lol: Cows are cute but they're gross sometimes :p Thanks, Dun!

LizHartley1991":2kh3vnql said:
dun":2kh3vnql said:
Eww :lol: Cows are cute but they're gross sometimes :p Thanks, Dun!
I add a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid and have sometimes resorted to using a sponge if it's already dried/stuck.

Offered Mira 4 Pints (2 quarts) this morning. She ate 3 (1.5) and had a little struggle eating but otherwise did good and ate about as much as I was expecting of her :) cutting it down to two full feedings will be good for her.

I feel bad that she was shivering as I finished feeding her. I sat and pet and loved on her while trying to keep her from climbing the hay bales like a baby goat. I wish I could be in two places at once. One me stays down and loves on her all day while the other me can get my other work done throughout the day!

isn't hungry... Maybe doing two 3 pint bottles a day is better? Though that's only 3 pints by the end of the day... Hmmmm

Your really struggling with this math....I don't get it....;/

Kingfisher":3e910q35 said:
isn't hungry... Maybe doing two 3 pint bottles a day is better? Though that's only 3 pints by the end of the day... Hmmmm

Your really struggling with this math....I don't get it....;/
I'm afraid math isn't my specialty and thus why I went into the performing arts (that and I love acting and such). Working with converging and numbers and math in general gets me flustered and I have a hard time with it... I pretty much only passed most of my math classes by the scrape of my teeth... So yeah... Sorry... :(

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8kiafz8w said:
3 pint bottle 2 x a day = 1.5 quarts - recommended amount for small calf.
That's what my father suggested I do as well. He knows I struggle with math so he's been helping me better.

It's a warmer day today so I've left Mira's door open to allow her to free range... And she decides to lay in one spot or go back into the hay barn where I kept her... I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not...

Sometimes I feel like she struggles seeing. Most times she can follow me around without trouble but sometimes it's like she looses herself and will bump into everything or be afraid to move... It's strange.

I also think you are way over thinking this.
I must have misread the first few posts because I thought you said you worked with human babies/infants but now you say your specialty is the arts. I guess that from your first posts, I figured you would know the basics of taking care of a baby of any species.

If it is not blowing cold freezing air, let her have access to the outdoors and sun. She will go where she is comfortable. If she prefers the barn then she feels safe there, and maybe is out of a draft. They lay out in the field in real life/nature all the time and do just fine. They will find a spot that may only be a small depression in the ground and will be out of a windy draft and be comfortable. If she is getting along and drinking her bottles, then just let her body grow. The stumbling still might be from the overdose of minerals that she was getting and her body is still trying to get back to normal. It could have affected her eyesight. Give it time.

farmerjan":3hmacwro said:
I also think you are way over thinking this.
I must have misread the first few posts because I thought you said you worked with human babies/infants but now you say your specialty is the arts. I guess that from your first posts, I figured you would know the basics of taking care of a baby of any species.

If it is not blowing cold freezing air, let her have access to the outdoors and sun. She will go where she is comfortable. If she prefers the barn then she feels safe there, and maybe is out of a draft. They lay out in the field in real life/nature all the time and do just fine. They will find a spot that may only be a small depression in the ground and will be out of a windy draft and be comfortable. If she is getting along and drinking her bottles, then just let her body grow. The stumbling still might be from the overdose of minerals that she was getting and her body is still trying to get back to normal. It could have affected her eyesight. Give it time.
To clarify, I do work with infant children. I'm a substitute teacher for a federal government daycare. Does that mean I'm knowledgeable of everything dealing with Kids? No I'm afraid not. I did major in the arts. I act and I work on screenplays and scripts and edit music videos on the side. But I work part time for a daycare program.

I do overthink things. People even tell me I'd be that overbearing parent that freaks out if their kid gets a tiny sniffle. I don't have kids of my own. I have dogs or cats or guinea pigs or turtles or fish that I care for. I like to offer to house sit and care for dogs. I go watch over the new piglets being born on other farms. I love animals and kids. I get protective and very invested in making sure they're okay... So yes I overthink things.

I'm simply concerned with Mira's eyesight. Her eyes aren't glassy and most of the pink coloring has gone. She's eating better and moves more. But she also freezes up and will just stand in one spot and not move. And she runs into a lot of stuff and stumbles when she does. I wonder if she has partial eyesight. Bad eyes are common in premature children of any species so that was my speculation on things.

I'm sorry I'm being so nervous / possible over analytical. It's the anxiety and controlling and worrywart side of me. I'm trying not to be TOO over the top on my concerns. Mira is probably perfectly okay now.

I post here to feel better and to share my thoughts and to see what you all think. I apologize if I've become annoying about it though...

It's just that I feel you are trying to "make things happen" and that is the over thinking part. Really....
None of it is going to happen overnight. The eye thing might take a little time and work its'self out. Again, it might be long term. Try to give it some time. If they are looking more normal then she might just come around.
I admire that you REALLY WANT TO HELP HER..... but like someone once told me, 'quit trying so hard because you are making it harder than it has to be'; when I was trying to learn to breed cows. They were right. Give her some time. At this point, if she is eating, coming in and out of the barn on her own, not scouring or having any obvious issues, then whatever happens will happen. Again, her body is ridding itsself of the overdose of minerals, almost like poison. It could have affected her. It could be from the trauma when she was born. Right now, she is accepting that you are her momma. If she gets some exercise, then she will come along. Without spending a kings ransom on a vet to examine her eyes, and probably not learning anything new anyway, she might very well have partial sight. It might improve with time.
I think the stumbling is in part the eyes, and in part just getting the muscle tissue to work after all she has been through. You say she is getting better....really, it hasn't been all that long. She started out with a couple strikes against her, so she needs to make up that and then go forward.

Okay, now I understand your status. I was under the impression at first that maybe you were a nurse or nurses aid or something. God bless you for working with daycare kids.
Really, chill ( I am saying this nicely) , she is eating and will be growing now.... you are doing what needs to be done, give it time.

Latest posts