Zenith carb on the 5000

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
Well I put the new Zenith carb on the 5000 yesterday and still couldn't get it running. It did crank for just seconds, really missing and quit. I'm guessing that all the flooding with the old carb might have fouled the plugs. Dark caught me yesterday and I couldn't do much. I've got a cow and calf I'm watching and posting about on the other board. Do I need to pull the plugs and blow the cylinder out? I went ahead and bought 4 plugs while I'm in town so if that's the problem I'll have em at home.

Sounds like you are still starving for fuel if it ran for a few seconds and quit. Open the drain on the fuel bowl and make sure fuel runs freely for more than a few seconds.

New plugs never hurt a gas motor. If it is popping and spitting I would check the points gap. Sounds like you may have more than one problem to me.

I picked up points and plugs today and will install them this afternoon. Naw, it's not starving cus gas was running out the bottom of the carb. I'm thinking that with all the trying to crank it with the old carb I probably fouled the plugs. Hopefully after I put new points and plugs in everything will be alright. Hey gas and air and it's supposed to run, right? But then it could be something right before my eyes.....

If fuel is running out, besides the fouled plugs I would think maybe a stuck float

dun

would a cracked intake make it suck more gas and flood. I'm beginning to think I may really have problems.

any crack or bad gasket on intake manifold ether between the carb or where it bolts onto the head will make it not start if its sucking air from places it shouldnt

greg

Well we got two more eyes on it and a lot more knowledge. Turns out it was firing some times and sometimes not. BAd wire leading from the coil. It's running good nowThank GOD for friends.

Latest posts