Z tags: Cow tag vs calf tag?

Help Support CattleToday:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
We have been using Z tag cattle tags for our cows and z tag calf tags for our calves for some time now with good success. We do occasionally have a cow loose a tag. I was wondering if the calf tags would stay in longer/better because they are smaller in size and weight, they don't flop all over the place and have less of a chance to snag on things? Has anyone used teh z tag calf tags on their full size cows? What were your results? I'm thinking maybe I could just use all calf size tags on both the momas and the babies, just use a different color for each.

We use the cow-size tags on all females - tagged the spring-born heifers just this week.
Have been using some crappy Y-Tex or Allflex calf tags on steers, but really don't like 'em; will probably switch over to Z-tag calf tags for steers once we use up the current batch of tags.
Have been using Z-tags for over 15 years, and rarely have a cow lose a tag - but it does happen on occasion. Don't know how they manage it - their ears are not torn, the tag is just gone, hole undamaged.

We have been using the long necked calf z tags on everyone for a couple years now. They seem to be holding in there fine and because they are the long neck version look fine on cows too. Aprille

I didn't realize there was a long neck version of the calf tag, i will look into that for sure!

I use the calf tags on everything because I don't like the tags hanging down much below the bottom of the ear.

Calhoun Farm":2gxoftxj said:
I use the calf tags on everything because I don't like the tags hanging down much below the bottom of the ear.

Do you have any troubles with the cows ear getting in the way of the tag so it not readable?

We use Allflex cow tags in everything... our biggest problem is after 5 or so years the numbers rub off... I've been trying all sorts of things to get the numbers to stay on better.. limited success, and it takes a long time to see if it worked, used several types of inks too... I got a bucketful of really old allflex tags I put on the steers... they're pretty weathered, but if the numbers stay for 7 months that's good enough for me. We have the RFID buttons here, and I found I got better tag retention if I put the tag and button on the same pin.. the button acts as a big washer and strain relief and seems to work well,.. you just need to cut off the pin protector on the tag so it's all flat, then it works well. I like the full size tags on the cows, though I could maybe go to a large rather than Maxi and still have good readability. By the time the tag wears off I'm pretty good at knowing which cow is which anyhow

Nesikep":3ca0pytg said:
We use Allflex cow tags in everything... our biggest problem is after 5 or so years the numbers rub off... I've been trying all sorts of things to get the numbers to stay on better.. limited success, and it takes a long time to see if it worked, used several types of inks too... I got a bucketful of really old allflex tags I put on the steers... they're pretty weathered, but if the numbers stay for 7 months that's good enough for me. We have the RFID buttons here, and I found I got better tag retention if I put the tag and button on the same pin.. the button acts as a big washer and strain relief and seems to work well,.. you just need to cut off the pin protector on the tag so it's all flat, then it works well. I like the full size tags on the cows, though I could maybe go to a large rather than Maxi and still have good readability. By the time the tag wears off I'm pretty good at knowing which cow is which anyhow

Nesikep, Give Richtey Tags a try. You actually grind the numbers in with a Dremel tool and they are there to stay. I've had great luck with em. B&G

I would try other tags... but around here Allflex is the *ONLY* thing available... I might try using a soldering gun to melt the number in to the tag before I ink it though, or perhaps with a dremel and a wood bit? something to try anyhow

rynophiliac":1e63z8aw said:
Calhoun Farm":1e63z8aw said:

Do you have any troubles with the cows ear getting in the way of the tag so it not readable?

Not really, I mean I can see them from a good distance.

These are what we use: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=38562195-a683-4a3e-ab68-edddcbebde3b#

here's what they look like in the ear

Funny you should ask that .Today I have to replace two that came out .Started with a different style on calves and when they got bigger put Z tags in but used same hole . I found an old tag and cut myself a couple of washers to go between end of post and ear.But so far I found these tag to work great.

Nesikep":otrpvfrd said:
I would try other tags... but around here Allflex is the *ONLY* thing available... I might try using a soldering gun to melt the number in to the tag before I ink it though, or perhaps with a dremel and a wood bit? something to try anyhow

Y-tex makes a gel that absorbs into the tag and will never fade.

We use Ritchie tags on all the cows. We lose a very small portion every year but you will have that with any tag and I never have to worry about not being able to read them

Latest posts