Z-tags and calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":1snf29lm said:
TexasBred":1snf29lm said:
RanchMan90":1snf29lm said:
I have about 50% of the z tags stay in. I prefer the 2 piece allflex tag myself :2cents:
Good luck. ;-)
Back when we used hundreds of tags we would order from this company. Excellent product, much easier to put in the ear, one piece and CHEAP.....

http://www.dlplastics.com/tags.php

Plan to try. How does the applicator work?
Hard to explain exactly how it works but you fold back what will become the back of the tag and attach it to the knife. When you punch the knife through the ear from the front and then pull it out it pulls the tag off the knife leaving it in the ear. Would be easier if they would put a video on their site but it's really very simple and very fast.

artesianspringsfarm":20658cu7 said:
Ok Jed and gang, two of the culprits were posing together today so I snapped a couple shots. My guess is you are going to tell me I'm too far out towards the tip since thats what I'm thinking myself on these. Let me know.

IMG_5793_zpsaef8lhub.jpg

IMG_5790_zpsih5e5mfi.jpg

IMG_5785_zpsjnvtazs4.jpg

Based on your pictures I'd agree with Stocker Steve & say the ear froze around the tag and then fell off. We also use the cow size Ztags on all our calves and try to tag before they are 24 hours old (the ones that are too quick get tagged when we vaccinate before hauling out to pasture). 2 calving seasons ago we had a bunch of calves lose their ears/tags exactly the way your pictures looked above. Also had some that didn't lose their tag right away but the hole around the tag became very enlarged and eventually the tag fell out. Tagging closer to the head helps but also we now always try to wait until their ear is dry and warm to the touch before tagging. Preferably with the sun shining and above -10C. Seems like that fresh wound from the tagging just invites the ear to freeze. Last year we were real careful about not tagging when it was too cold and all calves retained their tag until weaning.

TexasBred":isesxxnd said:
Hard to explain exactly how it works but you fold back what will become the back of the tag and attach it to the knife. When you punch the knife through the ear from the front and then pull it out it pulls the tag off the knife leaving it in the ear. Would be easier if they would put a video on their site but it's really very simple and very fast.

Sounds like how a rug hook works. When hooking a rug, the wool/yarn goes through with the hook, when you pull the hook out the wool/yarn stays.

I thought it had to be something like that, the pictures for use aren't very well done.

artesianspringsfarm":34n6lqy2 said:
Ok Jed and gang, two of the culprits were posing together today so I snapped a couple shots. My guess is you are going to tell me I'm too far out towards the tip since thats what I'm thinking myself on these. Let me know.

Going by these photos, I would have to say that yes, the tags are too far out on the ear. When I tag, place the tag much closer to the inner part of the ear.

Here's a pic of 2 of mine.

Nesikep":3cg853o0 said:
Sometimes the calves do look a little funny.. a 60 lb calf with a Maxi size tag is disproportionate, but they grow into it pretty quick.. never had a calf rip one out.

I have a few cows that have broken the tag off.. I know them well though, they're the ones with their head on the wrong side of the fence all the time, so it gets hung up when I scold them and they back out in a hurry!

Never had problems with calves, but sometimes my cows do the same thing. Always have one or so a year who get them stuck in the fence or on the hay feeder!

Latest posts