Z-tags and calves

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
I know the ear tag topic has been thoroughly covered at least once every 6 months on here but I've got a new twist. I do Zflex tags and have loved them the last few years. I also am that cheap guy that puts cow tags in calves and have not had any major problems. No tag is bulletproof and I know that. This year though, I have had 3 out of 6 calves so far rip out their ear tag within 3-4 days of putting it in. One lost a good chunk of ear. Is this my fault for using cow tags, is it the cold and snow, or is it the zflex design? What do you do for your calves specifically. One tag that you replace later for replacement heifers?

I've never had a cow lose a Z tag but don't use them in calves. Can see where a curious calf might always be sticking his head somewhere it doesn't go.

Like M-5 we use cow z-tags on calves put them in at birth when we weigh them. Lose one once in awhile but not often. I would say bad luck this year or start looking for where they are sticking their heads into a spot that is yanking them out. We had a donkey once that we caught biting them on the ears and yanking their tags out. Donkey earned a trip to the sale barn.

Gizmom

I use ztags also and it seems certain cows always lose them. The couple that lose them regularly I ended up putting the smaller calf tags in and they haven't lost them.

Calves get calf tags.

When I first started using them the cattle were losing quite a few. It ended up being me not making sure it was all the way in.

I like the tags but the guns are junk. They wear out and you end up trashing them regularly.

I use allflex on the calves and don't have any trouble, and about half the cows have ztags just because I found an old bag of them Dad had left. I like the way they swing but that's it. As mentioned, the pliers suck, and hole is wallered out after that big tip goes through until it doesn't take much to tear them out it seems like. They have access to some woods and I figure they're hanging them on sprouts and tearing them out.

TexasBred":1gjfq59m said:
RanchMan90":1gjfq59m said:
I have about 50% of the z tags stay in. I prefer the 2 piece allflex tag myself :2cents:
Good luck. ;-)
Back when we used hundreds of tags we would order from this company. Excellent product, much easier to put in the ear, one piece and CHEAP.....

http://www.dlplastics.com/tags.php

Plan to try. How does the applicator work?

artesianspringsfarm":cd8vwl00 said:
No tag is bulletproof and I know that. This year though, I have had 3 out of 6 calves so far rip out their ear tag within 3-4 days of putting it in.

Hopefully their ears were not frozen...
Putting tags closer to the head reduces loses.
We tag replacements in both ears.

gizmom":yjhqen72 said:
Like M-5 we use cow z-tags on calves put them in at birth when we weigh them. Lose one once in awhile but not often. I would say bad luck this year or start looking for where they are sticking their heads into a spot that is yanking them out. We had a donkey once that we caught biting them on the ears and yanking their tags out. Donkey earned a trip to the sale barn.

Gizmom

You know, its funny, but I did add a cow to the herd this fall who is all over everytime there's a new calf and I really did wonder if she could be yanking them out. Well, at any rate, there's been some interesting food for thought on this one. I do know they were properly and fully inserted, especially since each one has ripped out the ear, not just fallen out. My only other guess is that somehow with their lower reach they are catching on the hay ring in a way that the cows arent since 2 of the three were found right around a hay ring. My biggest question was answered since I was wondering if I was the only one who used cow tags on calves and many of you who are having way more calves than me are doing the same.

Stocker Steve":31yfekko said:
TexasBred":31yfekko said:
RanchMan90":31yfekko said:
I have about 50% of the z tags stay in. I prefer the 2 piece allflex tag myself :2cents:
Good luck. ;-)
Back when we used hundreds of tags we would order from this company. Excellent product, much easier to put in the ear, one piece and CHEAP.....

http://www.dlplastics.com/tags.php

Plan to try. How does the applicator work?

I was wondering that myself. I have a bag with a mish-mash of tags and an applicator exactly like that one. The whole lot was given to me by an elderly neighbor who thought I might be able to use them. He also gave me a few old neck chains.

Since we tag all calves at birth, using Ztags would be too expensive. We use medium, pre numbered (from 1-100) ytex(allflex) button type tags on the calves We retag the retained calves with Ztags at weaning. We reuse the ytex tags every year. The last time we bought whole ytex tags was something on the order of 10 years ago.

I have started using Ztags.. used to use Allflex but my supplier stopped carrying the Allflex RFID's, so I switched over and got a free plier... I haven't had any problem with them so far... Heifer calves get cow tags and the RFID, steers just get the RFID.. as dun said, too expensive! Sometimes the calves do look a little funny.. a 60 lb calf with a Maxi size tag is disproportionate, but they grow into it pretty quick.. never had a calf rip one out.

I have a few cows that have broken the tag off.. I know them well though, they're the ones with their head on the wrong side of the fence all the time, so it gets hung up when I scold them and they back out in a hurry!

In the last few years I bet we've used close to a 1,000 tags.
Use only feed lot Z tags. They are a quarter a piece. They are a little lighter too. I think I've lost one or two is all.
My cows I keep are tagged with a better Z tag.
My baby calves are gagged with the same feed lot Z tag as all the others. I use planks and the calf gets the same number as the cow. No way will I ever go back to the calf having a different number.
On the replacement heifers they will get the original white tag cut out and a new yellow tag put in.
That up in the dig part of the eye and be sure to be between the vains.
Years ago when I used 2 piece tags I lost a huge percentage of them.
Some broke but most kept making a split in the ear till they were all the way out and I has a cow or calf with a split ear. I used the calf tags on the calves too.
Have not had a single Z tag do that.

jedstivers":1aff6khv said:
In the last few years I bet we've used close to a 1,000 tags.
Use only feed lot Z tags. They are a quarter a piece. They are a little lighter too. I think I've lost one or two is all.
My cows I keep are tagged with a better Z tag.
My baby calves are gagged with the same feed lot Z tag as all the others. I use planks and the calf gets the same number as the cow. No way will I ever go back to the calf having a different number.
On the replacement heifers they will get the original white tag cut out and a new yellow tag put in.
That up in the dig part of the eye and be sure to be between the vains.
Years ago when I used 2 piece tags I lost a huge percentage of them.
Some broke but most kept making a split in the ear till they were all the way out and I has a cow or calf with a split ear. I used the calf tags on the calves too.
Have not had a single Z tag do that.

Ok Jed and gang, two of the culprits were posing together today so I snapped a couple shots. My guess is you are going to tell me I'm too far out towards the tip since thats what I'm thinking myself on these. Let me know.

IMG_5793_zpsaef8lhub.jpg

IMG_5790_zpsih5e5mfi.jpg

IMG_5785_zpsjnvtazs4.jpg

Stocker Steve":23dhn400 said:
artesianspringsfarm":23dhn400 said:
No tag is bulletproof and I know that. This year though, I have had 3 out of 6 calves so far rip out their ear tag within 3-4 days of putting it in.

Hopefully their ears were not frozen...
Putting tags closer to the head reduces loses.
We tag replacements in both ears.

Latest posts