You're Confederate ... But Don't Know It?

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":19r3ugvj said:
Brandonm22":19r3ugvj said:
IThe Confederacy is DEAD. Leave flowers at the grave and get over it.
[/u] lets don't ......and say we did.... go down to texas and bull doze the alamo, let us know how it turned out for you

Why dishonor the dead? I respect all the dead......Republic of Texas, C.S.A., Rhodesia, the Aztecs, Ancient Babylon, but when you are DEAD you are DEAD and whatever causes you were championing while you were alive died with you.

Brandonm22":21938sc5 said:
alacattleman":21938sc5 said:
Brandonm22":21938sc5 said:
IThe Confederacy is DEAD. Leave flowers at the grave and get over it.
[/u] lets don't ......and say we did.... go down to texas and bull doze the alamo, let us know how it turned out for you

Why dishonor the dead? I respect all the dead......Republic of Texas, C.S.A., Rhodesia, the Aztecs, Ancient Babylon, but when you are DEAD you are DEAD and whatever causes you were championing while you were alive died with you.
i try and limit mine too a select few... and ancient babylon nor present day irag or on my list

Brandonm22":1xyv9601 said:
The Confederacy is DEAD. Leave flowers at the grave and get over it.
NO. I DON'T THINK SO.
I don't know where you are from since you do not put your state in the avatar space as most of us do.
But I think you miss the point.
A fair number of Southerners still value rights and freedom and individuality and honor. Of course there are people with these values no matter where they might be from, as I understood Grannysoo to be pointing out in his original post. But these things have beeen particularly strong in the South. (See Caustic's post about his ancestors.) I think I will hold to these ideals and do my own thinking as best I am able rather than let a government or news media do it far me.
I'm keeping my avatar. Even if it should be removed, I am still keeping it.

Lammie":6q13ib52 said:
That is NOT a good idea.

And yes, there still are Texans, thanks. We are our own little country out here. And could, IMHO, function independently. We have all the resources we need and all the space.

I can see that big old border fence keeping out all the Yankees. It might keep us in, but you can do everything short of snow skiing here, so that's okay, too.
Miss Lammie, I mean no disrespect to your post, but with all that space you have would you please keep your coyotes, armadillos, and those destructive hogs over on your side. :mad:

But wait, I suppose I spoke to hastily. :?
We did send you a good sized load of varmints after that Katrina storm from the New Orleans area.

Ryder old buddy...You can keep them Swamp Rats but see if you can't negotiate a trade deal concerning some of them good Shrimp and Mudbugs. Heck....might not even put up a fence on the La/Tx border.

TexasBred":1lc61h3o said:
Ryder old buddy...You can keep them Swamp Rats but see if you can't negotiate a trade deal concerning some of them good Shrimp and Mudbugs. Heck....might not even put up a fence on the La/Tx border.

I don't know... What major freeways wind through LA to Texas? We might have to put up a border check. If you are from the adjoining states, you might be okay. Except for New Mexico. Too many liberals. (Hey, I'm liberal and I think they are nuts!)

When I heard Varmits, I was thinking more of the two legged variety that we got so many of post Katrina. Still have a lot of those.

Lammie":uk3msdow said:
TexasBred":uk3msdow said:

I don't know... What major freeways wind through LA to Texas? We might have to put up a border check. If you are from the adjoining states, you might be okay. Except for New Mexico. Too many liberals. (Hey, I'm liberal and I think they are nuts!)

When I heard Varmits, I was thinking more of the two legged variety that we got so many of post Katrina. Still have a lot of those.
a liberal and a texan...........whats that like..as odd as a hillbilly on crack

Lammie":23j1pczt said:
TexasBred":23j1pczt said:

Lammie...the few of them folks I met wasn't speaking English, Texan or Cajun. I don't know what it was.

curtis":kra9bka0 said:
The South has all the resources its needs, not just Texas. When can we start on the fence.
We can elect our own Southern President, and the yanks can have the one they elected.
Long live the South.
Warn me before the fence goes up and I'll run to the south. :)

Ya'll romanticize the Old South too much. The truth was that a lot of the small farmers in the hill country hated the rich planters which dominated the politics, government, and economy of the pre-War South. Winston County, AL actually seceded from Alabama over the war. Here we had plenty of folks who volunteered for the Union forces. The 1st Alabama Cavalry was composed of pro-Union whites from North Alabama.
http://www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com/loyalist.asp
One such St Clair County farmer turned Union soldier came back following the war then hunted down and killed every war time County commissioner one at a time for what he felt was mistreatment of his wife. The Methodist Church here in Moody even refused to split with the northern Methodist Church (as most did) because the congregation (none of whom owned any slaves) opposed secession. Yell County Arkansas also seceded from Arkansas over secession. West Virginia and east Tennessee both had lots of pro-Union sentiment.

Brandonm22":9d61soxc said:
Ya'll romanticize the Old South too much. The truth was that a lot of the small farmers in the hill country hated the rich planters which dominated the politics, government, and economy of the pre-War South. Winston County, AL actually seceded from Alabama over the war. Here we had plenty of folks who volunteered for the Union forces. The 1st Alabama Cavalry was composed of pro-Union whites from North Alabama.
One such St Clair County farmer turned Union soldier came back following the war then hunted down and killed every war time County commissioner one at a time for what he felt was mistreatment of his wife. The Methodist Church here in Moody even refused to split with the northern Methodist Church (as most did) because the congregation (none of whom owned any slaves) opposed secession. Yell County Arkansas also seceded from Arkansas over secession. West Virginia and east Tennessee both had lots of pro-Union sentiment.

Good read. My family roots are in the hills. We settled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains after leaving virtual enslavement in Ireland. With Puritan values and an empathy for the ills of enslavement, the last thing we ever wanted was to promote the aristocracy of the low country planters who were nothing more than copies of the rulers in England. We fought for the south but we fought for different reasons than slavery. Any ill sentiments toward the north really arose during the reconstruction. This is where most of my family's history is written and remembered.

Brandonm22":2vuv4ji6 said:
Ultimately the failure that was the Civil War can be laid at the feet of Madison, Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, and Jefferson (who wrote the Bill of Rights, though not the Constitution) because they did not legally write into the Constitution a right of Secession (or a legal prohibition against it) making the attempted breakup into a disastrous mess. The Confederacy is DEAD. Leave flowers at the grave and get over it.

You really hate the South and the many of the things it stood for don't you. Go back and re-read the original post and see how much of it really makes sense it todays world...

I don't hate the South. I have never lived anywhere else. I am a conservative Republican; but let's be completely honest here. THe Civil War had not a darned thing to do with values or fiscal policy, the author is insane. The Old South was dominated by a class of people with a lot of money tied up in land and they didn't want to do any of their own work so they imported colored people to do it for them and they used extreme force to maintain and promote that system. Lincoln did not get elected promising abolition. He won over the western farmers by promising them that Southern plantation owners would not be allowed to expand further westwards. The corrupt Southern aristocracy responded by starting an insurrection. There is nothing wrong with rebellion; but when you choose that a matter be resolved by the sword.....you need to accept the possibility that you could LOSE.....and lose they did..

No one is disputing that the South lost. We did. I saw it in the papers.

Really guys, this debate is way political. Riots have started over less.

Let's just say that for some, the War Of Northern Aggression is not over. For the rest of us, well, there is alway hope that Texas will form it's own republic again someday. When that day comes, we will be screening applicants carefully.

Brandonm22":1glg45me said:
i know i do...i miss the he#@ out of it. im gonna hang on too my piece of it too al and jesse comes to take it away. by then its will just be a memory any way ...just as the cowboys life is coming too a end..

So a lot of small farmers hated the rich land owners.
They must have really loved the federal boot on their neck during "reconstruction" and the yankee carpetbaggers coming down and looting the wealth and getting political power.
Farmers livestock killed, crops destroyed, extreme poverty and lack of food for whites and blacks,ear rigs ripped out of women's ears...
Yep, that was sure some improvement. :mad:

Actually, in my opinion, the post has little to do with north/south - right/wrong - win/loose. It's just one of those posts that should make you think.

Think about what happened in the past and then look at what's happening now.

States rights were greatly diminished after the War of Northern Aggression, and now they are heading to the point where they will no longer exist at all.

It's amazing how far our country has come in the last few decades. Our founding fathers would roll over in the graves and die again if they could see what we have become......

Latest posts