Your Opinions Wanted (Really)

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
Will u please tell me what you think of this bull? This is Buster 260, owned by Buster Beefmasters in Oklahoma. I'm wanting to get some good genetics from various beefmaster breeders. I took a liking to this bull and thought I'd get some experienced ranchers' opinions.

Buster260BusterLBar5502Grandson-1.jpg

This is the only picture I have right now, taken by a camera phone. Please tell me what you can about his phenotype by the picture. Thanks.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

From what I can tell, he sure looks meaty.

Best sheath on a Beefmaster I've seen in a while too.

He'll do. Send him on down here. ;-)

thats a nice beefmaster bull.he is a meat wagon.an his underline an sheath are very clean.he will put some meat on his calves.in my eyes you cant go wrong with him.how old is the bull.

He looks to fat for me. I'd like to see him after he's been working for 60 days and see if he still looks as good. You can cover up alot of bad if you use a lot of corn.

Boss Cowman":13kf2xzo said:
He looks to fat for me. I'd like to see him after he's been working for 60 days and see if he still looks as good. You can cover up alot of bad if you use a lot of corn.

If the picture had been taken after he'd been out working for 60 days, someone would have said he needs more conditioning.

Sometimes you just can't win here..........................

That bull is just awful. Why i oughta call those people up and give them a piece of my mind. what did you say their number is again and how much do they expect people to pay for this funnel butt?

fourstates":9n17ehmp said:
You need to have him tested first....how about at my place, for about 60days?

Yeah then you need a second opinion at my place.

He looks good to me, the only thing that slightly bothers me is his front pasterns, but that is only very slightly off ideal. Can't see his back pasterns on the photo, but be sure to pay close attention to that before making your final decision.

The reason I am saying this is there is usually very little difference between front and back pasterns, if he is slightly shallow in the front, he is likely to be the same in the hind pasterns.

This isn't a problem for this bull, but since you asked I had to point it out.

Thats a good looking beefmaster. Real good underline and sheath. Ya can't go wrong there.
I would keep him.And if you don't want him. Let me know where I can pick him up :D

Boss Cowman":lnp8motk said:
This bull has not seen a grain of corn in his life he is completely fed native grass that isnt't even fertilized mostly weeds to be honest.I took this picture myself about to weeks ago when I went to visit my Uncle buster and he had just pulled the bull off 30 heifers.This bull is the thickest made polled bull I have ever seen he has a very moderate frame having something to do with with being easy keeping and is very very very masculine.Not to mention he is 100% foundation genetics.I own a couple of daughters sired by this bull and I'll see about getting some pictures if I can.

manaftergodsheart413":165mym0q said:
Boss Cowman":165mym0q said:
This bull has not seen a grain of corn in his life he is completely fed native grass that isnt't even fertilized mostly weeds to be honest.I took this picture myself about to weeks ago when I went to visit my Uncle buster and he had just pulled the bull off 30 heifers.This bull is the thickest made polled bull I have ever seen he has a very moderate frame having something to do with with being easy keeping and is very very very masculine.Not to mention he is 100% foundation genetics.I own a couple of daughters sired by this bull and I'll see about getting some pictures if I can.

looking forward to seeing his daughters, a bull that is in this condition after settling 30 heifers is the epitome of easy keeping genetics.

You all are funny. Before I send him to anyone else's ranch for 60 days for an opinion, I probably better talk Buster into letting me test drive him a while. I think he's a good bull. Thanks, everyone, for your posts.

Knersie, when asked to fault the bull, I could only say that his front pasterns didn't look "ideal". I don't think they're terrible, but I've seen some a little better. He seems to be traveling, moving, and working well for Buster, so I'd say it hasn't slowed him yet.

I've still got to make my way up to Oklahoma to see the bull and Buster's cattle myself. Someone asked how old he was...he's a 2002 model, I believe.

He does have an exceptional sheath. People often criticize beefmasters for their underline. Here's another bull, Colorada Bedrock, owned by Jerry Orr in Ravenna. He just retired this bull this year. He's the sire to my bull. I think he's another good example of the way foundation beefmasters have cleaned up the underlines through the years.

Colorado_BedrockOrr.jpg

And just because I'm really pleased with my bull, here's another picture of him from earlier today. He was trying to get after a cow in heat.

DSCN02900001.jpg

Please keep your comments coming on any of the bulls, especially the first two that you've not seen.

Why not":32dykl1h said:
*Cowgirl*":32dykl1h said:
I like him. Wrong color ;-)

You winked but a lot of people would be ohh-in and ahh-in if the color was different. This bull and the good shorthorn the other day are two bulls that should fit anywhere.

Before any one else says anything ol Nolan Ryan would probably like a few hundred like this. :p And yes he could use his label :lol:

I don't know that any of us could afford him if he was that .....Other color.

Why didn't anyone take the time to tell me that I said this bull has an "exceptional udder"??? :shock:

That might be considered a fault. I got a chuckle out of that when I read over my post again.

He has an exceptional sheath. I've not seen his udder. :)

Latest posts