Your Boat Is Struck by Lightning

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime":sulgmexk said:
What would be the result?

In a small aluminum boat????? probably instant death.

In a fiberglass boat????? You may or may not die instantly, I suppose.

If you lived through it, you'd have a he77 of a tale to tell us on the board. Of course many wouldn't believe you unless you posted a picture of your tennis shoes fused to the bottom of the boat. Then of coarse some would claim it was photo shopped. Of coarse I think Macon would probably dubb you SPARKY after a set number of posts. ;-) :lol2:

I've had lighting touch me twice. Once was from a bath tub faucet and the other was at a golf course in the building they had for bathrooms and had some overhead shelter as well. The first time it ran up to my shoulder and seem to leave the same way. I was maybe 7. The last time it knocked me down and i was 16. Both times it ran in on me. The last time must have been the from the power wires and i was the last man in line.

I don't care much about thinking about the next time.

I got hit in the barn once. I was in the rafters looking for a leak in the tin when all of a sudden everything lit up. I awoke on the ground and my whole body was tingly all over. I walked out of the barn and mom and dad were running toward me as they had seen the lightning hit the barn and knew I was in there. It was rather strange but I was unhurt - just tingly.

I got hit once myself.

was storming pretty bad and I was in the shop making tags for calves.

We had a square flat top water heater in the shop and that was where I made tags and set them out to dry. I was leaning against the heater with my knee and making a tag with my hand and the lightening came in on the electric circuit and blew most everything out. Knocked me across the shop.

I was pretty much undamaged physically but many say I have never been right in the head since. Others say naw....he was that way before the lightening hit him.

I've been caught down the river a couple or more times in an electrical storm and the choice was: Do I stay in the boat, or get out on the hill under some really tall trees? Still wondering which would be safer. I've done it each way, and do not like either way.

It happens more often than you may think. Sailboats are designed to allow the lightening to travel the mast into the water relatively safely without frying electronics.

Without doing a google research on it, I'd feel safer in a boat than under a tall tree. ( Years ago I did a lot of freshwater sailing, couldn't always make port before a storm, so stayed away from the mast until it was over :lol: ).

Latest posts