young heifer bred

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
A 10 month old heifer was in heat yesterday and the bull was trying to breed her....I moved the bull to another pasture. So how many days until I should give her a shot of estrumate?

Estrumate or lute will make them abort?

I know it's not ideal or good, but if she is a normal size for here age and the bull is not known for big calves, at 10 months I would be tempted to let her have it. I know that wasn't what you were asking, that was just my thought.

Yep, "For Intramuscular Use for Abortion of Feedlot and Other Non-Lactating Cattle. LUTALYSE is indicated for its abortifacient effect in feedlot and other non-lactating cattle during the first 100 days of gestation. Inject a dose of 25 mg intramuscularly. Cattle that abort will abort within 35 days of injection." per label but you might want to wait a few days until the pregnancy is complete.

I have ai'd 11 month old heifers with good calving ease bulls (they were late calved in a group and wanted to calve them in at same time as herd-mates), although not my usual practice, all did turn out OK, just a thought. not sure of your bulls calving ease though?

Latest posts