Young Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
At about what age will a bull calve start breeding ? I bought a calf at the sell barn to butcher and I also bought a young heifer as well. They are about 6 months old now and they are in the same pen.

depends on feeding, genetics, how tall he is, etc.

the youngest bull I have seen the evidence from was about 8-9 months old, usually they are able (if they can reach) at 11 months.

Don't start working him untill 14 months old, and don't give him more than about 15 for his first season to ne on the safe side

Thanks, I was just wanting to not get her bred and making sure. The bull calf was bought at the sale at the same time I bought the heifer and about the same age. Actually the auctioneer said he was a steer and that is why I bought him. Got him home and he sure looks like he is toting to me. He will go to the butcher.
Thanks again.

Why not just have him cut and not have to worry about it?

Actually like I said earlier he was supposed to be a steer, but the auctioneer must not have been really paying attention and you couldn't really tell as he was going through the ring. He was 245 when I bought him and I would say around 300 now. He will be cut as soon as I get off this job as he was bought to butcher.

:shock:

Droughtmasters are actively sniffing and following from about 12 months but I havn't seen one actually suceeding until over 18 months

not likely he can get the job done, i wouldn't worry till they get about a year old. he will sniff and act like he wants to, but depending on the breed he is not mature enough yet. but there are always exceptions. if he is that small it might be worth cutting him so you won't have to worry. how big do you want him to be when you butcher him??

Somewhere in the range of about 800 pounds. I figure he weighs maybe 350/400 now I have wormed him and he gets plenty of grain/hay/grass/minerals. Bought him from the sale barn just to butcher, but he doesn't seem to be really gaining very much to me. Any ideas??????When he should be cut or how long till he will be butchered?????

Thanks

garseer":1uhxc0vs said:
Somewhere in the range of about 800 pounds. I figure he weighs maybe 350/400 now I have wormed him and he gets plenty of grain/hay/grass/minerals. Bought him from the sale barn just to butcher, but he doesn't seem to be really gaining very much to me. Any ideas??????

It will take him a little bit to get over the stress of being shipped, going through the salebarn, finding himself in new surroundings, etc. Be patient and let him settle in, keep an eye on him for pneumonia, and let him settle in and become comfortable with you and his new surroundings.

When he should be cut or how long till he will be butchered?????

I would let him settle in, start eating good, give him a couple of weeks then castrate him. Yes, it has the potential of knocking him back a week or so - but it beats the alternative. The longer you wait to castrate, the longer it could take him to get past being castrated. How big is the pen the two animals are being held in? Is it possible to drive a few steel posts, put up some panels and seperate them, but still allow nose to nose contact through the fence? If so, I think I would seriously consider that alternative.

Thanks

He is in about a 2 acre pasture with 2 more about his size. 1 is a heifer and the other is my step-sons bull calf. I have had them for about 3 month's now and they seem to be settled in okay, but they just don't seem to be gaining very well. I am feeding them twice a day now, so maybe I will be able to tell when I get back home. I am overseas at this time. I also have a rye grass patch planted that I will put them on as soon as I get home..

Thanks for the reply's

Latest posts