Young bull question.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
I am a newbie when it comes to the day to day operations of a cow/calf cattle farm.
The cattle operation I am taking over is/was my dad's. Dad always left his bull in the pasture with the cows on a year round basis. The cows are just now starting to calf. Anyway, I have bought a good young bull that I've been told will be ready to service cows in about 5 months. Can I turn this young bull out with the cows and the bull which is already in the field, or should he be kept seperate from the cows until he is old enough? Thanks.

If you turn a young bull in with a herd of cows with an established bull, the two fellas are gonna fight. Most bulls do not like another male getting near 'their' cows.
Are you getting rid of the older bull or planning to use both of them? If you're planning to use both, the better option would be to separate the cows into two seperate herds.

farmwriter":2er5n362 said:
If you turn a young bull in with a herd of cows with an established bull, the two fellas are gonna fight. Most bulls do not like another male getting near 'their' cows.
Are you getting rid of the older bull or planning to use both of them? If you're planning to use both, the better option would be to separate the cows into two seperate herds.
Plans are to sell the older bull, but I figured I would keep him in with the cows until young fella was ready.

I would give the young bull a buddy and hold him off with his buddy till he's at least a year, then do a BSE and if he passes turn him in with a dozen cows or so maximum.

Better question - how much does he weigh??? If he was grown out properly, a 14 month old should be ready to handle 14 head of cows (1 per month of age).
I definately would NOT put him out with the older bull. How many COWS do you have to be bred? And, if they are calving now, the mature bull will be breeding the cows any time after 30 days past calving if they are in good conditon.

I'd expect some fighting, and a big mature bull might injure a youngster pretty badly - I've seen it happen.
Even if they settle in without injuring one another, the dominant bull will breed the vast majority of cows; and if the old bull happened to be infertile, he may be servicing the cows, but not getting them bred - while keeping the younger (hopefully) fertile bull from breeding 'his' cows.

Latest posts