• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Young Angus Breeder Looking for Advice.

KaitlinLego

Reaction score
I am a young breeder, who started trhough FFA.
It is time for me to re-breed my oldest cow. She is a larger framed female
who could use some added style, and bone. I am in the show buissness, not commerial.
Can anyone reccommend some good Angus Sires? (AMF of course.)

Thanks, Kaitlin

KaitlinLego

Reaction score
Thanks, and funny, that's who I bred her too for her first calf.
I got a heifer out of her with him, still growing, not sure how she will turn out quite yet.

Frankie

Reaction score
KaitlinLego":2g5kidh8 said:
I am a young breeder, who started trhough FFA.
It is time for me to re-breed my oldest heifer. She is a larger framed female
who could use some added style, and bone. I am in the show buissness, not commerial.
Can anyone reccommend some good Angus Sires? (AMF of course.)

Thanks, Kaitlin

If she's had a calf, she's no longer a heifer. Northern Improvement has been a popular easy calving bull for heifers. But if she's not a heifer, you can go with something with more "style and bone." There's a "show" board on this site. Perhaps if you post this question there, someone can give you some help on what's winning in the show ring these days. Good luck.....

KaitlinLego

Reaction score
Thanks, and i can't believe i said that. I'm just so used to calling her my show heifer.

djinwa

Reaction score
Frankie":nxv6fx8x said:
If she's had a calf, she's no longer a heifer.

Apparently many cattlemen still consider them heifers after calving. I googled "first calf heifer" and here's one article:

http://beefmagazine.com/americancowman/ ... -breeding/

The period from calving to rebreeding is especially important for the first-calf heifer. During this time, you are expecting her to maintain body condition, lactate, continue to grow and finally restart her estrous cycle again.

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Every one I know in the cattle business refers to 1st calvers as first calf heifers. It ends when the first calf is weaned, then she becomes a second calver and won't be referred to as a heifer any more.. And if for some reason she is marketed after the birth of one calf she is a heiferette.

Latest posts