Young Angus Breeder Looking for Advice.

Help Support CattleToday:

KaitlinLego

Reaction score
I am a young breeder, who started trhough FFA.
It is time for me to re-breed my oldest cow. She is a larger framed female
who could use some added style, and bone. I am in the show buissness, not commerial.
Can anyone reccommend some good Angus Sires? (AMF of course.)

Thanks, Kaitlin

ad.gif

Thanks, and funny, that's who I bred her too for her first calf.
I got a heifer out of her with him, still growing, not sure how she will turn out quite yet.

KaitlinLego":2g5kidh8 said:
I am a young breeder, who started trhough FFA.
It is time for me to re-breed my oldest heifer. She is a larger framed female
who could use some added style, and bone. I am in the show buissness, not commerial.
Can anyone reccommend some good Angus Sires? (AMF of course.)

Thanks, Kaitlin

If she's had a calf, she's no longer a heifer. Northern Improvement has been a popular easy calving bull for heifers. But if she's not a heifer, you can go with something with more "style and bone." There's a "show" board on this site. Perhaps if you post this question there, someone can give you some help on what's winning in the show ring these days. Good luck.....

Thanks, and i can't believe i said that. I'm just so used to calling her my show heifer.

Frankie":nxv6fx8x said:
If she's had a calf, she's no longer a heifer.

Apparently many cattlemen still consider them heifers after calving. I googled "first calf heifer" and here's one article:

http://beefmagazine.com/americancowman/ ... -breeding/

The period from calving to rebreeding is especially important for the first-calf heifer. During this time, you are expecting her to maintain body condition, lactate, continue to grow and finally restart her estrous cycle again.

Every one I know in the cattle business refers to 1st calvers as first calf heifers. It ends when the first calf is weaned, then she becomes a second calver and won't be referred to as a heifer any more.. And if for some reason she is marketed after the birth of one calf she is a heiferette.