yearling calve weights

Help Support CattleToday:

onecarl2002

Reaction score
I have some black angus heifers that are yearlings and I was wondering at a year old how big should they be. I was holding them over to make replacements out of them and I got to think are they as big as they should be at this age. I am guessing them between 600 to 650 lbs. :bang:

After weaning our heifers are turned out with the cow herd and are treated exactly the same as the mature cows, i.e. no supplemnts, etc. As yearlings they will run around 850-1000 pounds

What do they usually weight at weaning time and when you wean them do you take the cows away or put the heifers up and feed them.

onecarl2002":2yckehpj said:
What do they usually weight at weaning time and when you wean them do you take the cows away or put the heifers up and feed them.
They run around 575 from heifers up to 650 from cows. We pull all the calves off the cows and fenceline wean them. We background them for 45 days then ship the steers and non-replacement quality heifers. After the 45 days they are turned back with the cows and spend the rest of their lives there. Our backgrounding consists of stockpiled fescue if we have any pasture or fescue hay. They also get about 1% of their weight in 13% weaning ration. Any bulls we keep throws a kink in the works. If we have retained any bulls they go in with the bred cows after the 45 days and the heifers are pastured in a different pasture. A couple of weeks before calving starts we pull the bull/s and put them up separate from the females and the heifers get turned in with the cows.

Latest posts