Hanging weights/final weights

Help Support CattleToday:

Our prices for grassfed Angus are not the cheapest around. (I have wondered whether one outfit who advertises grassfed is actually selling grained. Either that or I would love to know how he hasn't gone under; he undercuts us grassfed sellers by almost half sometimes). So, while I want to properly set expectations for the final weight, I think customers would go running into the night if I tried to be ultraconservative and tell them to expect a 50% loss.
Based on the amount of meat we got and how much space it took up, I don't think we lost more than 25%. Maybe 30% tops. I think going forward I will use the ~1/3 figure that it looks like Jeanne and Butch use.
Thanks for all the comments. Please add any other thoughts--this is very helpful. We pick up the other steer Sat. and I think I will figure out a "way to weigh."

First time buyers might ask take home weight expectations otherwise it usually doesn't come up.
They pay me for hanging weight and how they want it processed is between them and the butcher.
Usually they pick up their half from the butcher not me. I have thrown in free delivery sometimes to close a sale.

Son of Butch":2e1zf64x said:
First time buyers might ask take home weight expectations otherwise it usually doesn't come up.
They pay me for hanging weight and how they want it processed is between them and the butcher.
Usually they pick up their half from the butcher not me. I have thrown in free delivery sometimes to close a sale.

We pick up and deliver. A lot of them (so far) are newbies at buying a quarter (or, less often, a half), so we give them a good bit of hand-holding. They fill out the cut sheet and we deliver it to the butcher, with the cow.

Last one sold 2.59 lb plus processing currently advertising 2.39 for 2 weeks with no response. :(
Appears I'm going to have to lower my price, a local producer is advertising 1.90 for holsteins and 2.15 for beef

The top Grassfed producer in the state advertises USDA inspected grassfed beef quarters 3.99 plus .70 processing.
His farm has been on TV cooking shows on PBS and he sells to featured restaurants.

boondocks":1f9j5r5m said:
They fill out the cut sheet and we deliver it to the butcher, with the cow.
I would suggest not saying "Cow" unless you're selling a cow.
Otherwise they'll end up repeating it to a know it all friend who will say they got ripped off.

Son of Butch":ukci9idc said:
boondocks":ukci9idc said:
Otherwise they'll end up repeating it to a know it all friend who will say they got ripped off.

Maybe they are, actually selling them a 'cow'.

But that does drive me nuts. We have new neighbors (city folk) and the husband calls me one day to tell me one of my "cows" has been laying out in the field for quite some time, and its all by itself. The "cow" he was referring to was a calf. He calls everything I have a "cow". He kept thinking I was pulling his leg, with regard to the bull, because the bull doesn't have horns. :roll:

Son of Butch":34gri8he said:
boondocks":34gri8he said:

I do call a steer a steer. But for example, last summer we butchered a 2 yo female that wouldn't breed. I guess technically that makes her a heifer but that's a distinction that would be lost on many customers...
We're very clear that they're buying a quarter or half.
Am I doing something wrong?

Son of Butch":1gsalexz said:
No, not doing anything wrong, but could be confusing to newbie city customers is all... everyone knows cows are
for milking not eating. :)

Our customers are pretty rural, just not necessarily used to buying beef other than at walmart etc. Used to be big dairy area but things have balanced out and there are now about as many beefers as dairy (totally non-scientific!)