Yearling bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't mean it in a bad way. He seems to pack on the pounds more than I'm use to seeing. Of course that is the purpose of the test.

I guess I should have said his condition doesn't remind me of a Continental.

A very handsome young bull! What's his frame score
& what do you estimate his grown-up weight is going
to be??? What was his birthweight? Yes, refreshing
color--made for the heat!!! A herdsire for sure.

That's a nice calf, Mike. A real money-maker for a commercial cattleman that's not color blind.

Shorthornguy":1582ke7n said:
Really nice looking Bull. Are you sure its not a Whitebred Shorthorn? LOL :lol:

If you could help me get another set of papers on him, we could make him anything you'd like! :lol:

Might go for Murray Grey too! :lol:

White Park?

Ditto on all the positive comments. What a nice head.... what a smooth body....what nice feet.. legs... I think he looks better than his sire.

sidney411":3eyxbabg said:
How does that collar make them go to only their bunk to eat?
It transmits little electrical impulses to his brain. It has a homing device built into it and if he's headed to the bunk but going a little to the left, it impulses the part of the brain to make him want to move right, etc. Works good. GPS guided.

ollie'":1onxude2 said:
sidney411":1onxude2 said:
It transmits little electrical impulses to his brain. It has a homing device built into it and if he's headed to the bunk but going a little to the left, it impulses the part of the brain to make him want to move right, etc. Works good. GPS guided.
:lol:

ollie'":204lj1qd said:
sidney411":204lj1qd said:

I might add that these cattle must have an IQ of WELL above average for the collar to work properly.

The electrical impuses work off the "hunger" brain signals.

In short, if the cattle aren't hungry, the collars won't work.

its like a highpowered magnet. all he has to do is get within 30 feet of the feedbunk and he gets sucked over to his own very special feeder.

I'm no expert on thios stuff but I've seen 2 different types of feed measurement systems. One has the animals trained to only eat out of one specific feeder and they have a transmitter that opens and closes the feeder when they come up to eat and the feed is weighed. The other is also a transmitter that sends a signal of which animal is eating and the feed is scaled to determine how much a particular animal eats.
The latte rtype has been in use in the dairy industry soince at least the 70s. Then, when a cow was in the milking parlor, a specified amount of grain was dropped into the feeder. No matter how long she stood there, no more would drop.

dun

dun":2igzr97r said:
One has the animals trained to only eat out of one specific feeder and they have a transmitter that opens and closes the feeder when they come up to eat and the feed is weighed.

this is the kind i'm familiar with (at UGA)

Good looking bull Mike. His stance probaly makes him look shorter than he actually is. Would look better tho if he was black. :lol: :lol:

Once again Mike you have sent another great bull to the Auburn test. It just goes to show what a fine well managed operation you run. You have done your home work and bred some of the top genetics in Char cattle.
Keep up the good work.

alabama":pkv87ryf said:
Once again Mike you have sent another great bull to the Auburn test. It just goes to show what a fine well managed operation you run. You have done your home work and bred some of the top genetics in Char cattle.
Keep up the good work.

That's very kind of you. I had a very good mentor and a good friend in Mr. Harold Pate. He slapped me around me around from time to time to keep me focused !!!!!!!!!!!!

You puttin any yearlings in the EPD sale?

Beefy":1wlqzmsz said:
dun":1wlqzmsz said:
One has the animals trained to only eat out of one specific feeder and they have a transmitter that opens and closes the feeder when they come up to eat and the feed is weighed.

this is the kind i'm familiar with (at UGA)

I believe that these are similar to the kind Purina Mills uses at their research farm in Missouri, to measure and study eating activity of different rations.

Latest posts