yearling bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

looks like he keeps getting better with age.

so is the show side of the industry in your country more ligit or a straight forward venue or is it a ugly, political, nasty deal like it is in the states.

the NILE in billings mt used to have a range pen show and it was a great until the show cocks ruined it. we used to get in a straight comm man to judge horseback and we'd kick the pens loose in an outdoor arena to show, no fitting, and the brunt of the cattle came straight in from pasture - used to get a big crowd and ranchers big and small exhibit. now its a sham - ever since some fool hobby show idiot showd up with a pen of hog fat bulls all fit up.

sorry - good bull (you must not hold his hair against him too much)

Hereford76":1sfo242q said:
looks like he keeps getting better with age.

so is the show side of the industry in your country more ligit or a straight forward venue or is it a ugly, political, nasty deal like it is in the states.

the NILE in billings mt used to have a range pen show and it was a great until the show cocks ruined it. we used to get in a straight comm man to judge horseback and we'd kick the pens loose in an outdoor arena to show, no fitting, and the brunt of the cattle came straight in from pasture - used to get a big crowd and ranchers big and small exhibit. now its a sham - ever since some fool hobby show idiot showd up with a pen of hog fat bulls all fit up.
sorry - good bull (you must not hold his hair against him too much)
:cowboy:

Thanks Harley for posting the pic of the bull at 6 months. It's very helpful to see the development of your bull over time. In particular the amount of depth he has gotten in his girth, that surprised me a bit. I asked for the early aged pic because I'm wondering how many heifers I have shipped because of some thing I saw as a flaw but did't give them time to develop. I'm not talking about a big, no brainer flaw, but as one posted stated she would not considered your bull from his younger pic.

Thanks again,
Alan

Alan":pqb49zuc said:
Thanks Harley for posting the pic of the bull at 6 months. It's very helpful to see the development of your bull over time. In particular the amount of depth he has gotten in his girth, that surprised me a bit. I asked for the early aged pic because I'm wondering how many heifers I have shipped because of some thing I saw as a flaw but did't give them time to develop. I'm not talking about a big, no brainer flaw, but as one posted stated she would not considered your bull from his younger pic.

Thanks again,
Alan

I've been thinking the same thing - quite a change from the younger to current appearance of Harley's bull.

It probably works the other way too - a bull calf looks good at a younger age then stalls and ends up not being a keeper. That was my case last year. Fortunately the bull candidate developed horns and solved the dilemma for me. I guess it pays to not make a decision too early.

The question then is at what age can you reliably judge a bull's potential??? Would be nice if weaning at about 7 months?

Jim

LOL...

To continue the one-upsmanship....Not until his daughters have raised 5 or six calves and you can ascertain his daughter's milking ability, udder quality, and fertility!

I'm joking but not good with smilies. This group has been very helpful to me. According to the above I may be drooling in front of a TV set in a nursing home by the time I know for sure if I should have kept that bull a bull!

It seems to me like the bull or steer question really needs to be made at weaning or about 7 months.

Jim

SRBeef":15h7ugkp said:
I'm joking but not good with smilies. This group has been very helpful to me. According to the above I may be drooling in front of a TV set in a nursing home by the time I know for sure if I should have kept that bull a bull!

It seems to me like the bull or steer question really needs to be made at weaning or about 7 months.

Jim

I think in the past Harley has said you should be able to tell at 2 months...but he must have a better knack for it than me.

Personally I'm in the evaluate, then reevaluate frequently camp. You can usually get an idea if a calf is a good bull prospect (note..I said PROSPECT!) at weaning, but you should occasionally revisit that decision as he grows and matures.

Then the ultimate test is the calves he begets, or the daughters he leaves - depending on your priorities.

I've seen a number of outstanding looking bulls whose progeny looked rather ordinary. The best looking Anxiety 4th bull I ever saw in person was Premier Lamp 7. But I never saw a calf from him that I thought even came close to measuring up to their sire.

Conversely, I've seen some rather ordinary looking bulls that consistently sired a tremendous calf crop.

Even the so-called "experts" have trouble in predicting a bull's ultimate worth. Proof of that is how few of the National Show Champions go on to have stellar careers as breeding bulls. Very often they are outperformed as a breeding bull by a bull that placed somewhere down the line.

George

yes you should be able to tell if you have a bull calf thats worth keeping at 2 to 3 months old.

Herefords.US":3f4v93gz said:
SRBeef":3f4v93gz said:

Jim

I think in the past Harley has said you should be able to tell at 2 months...but he must have a better knack for it than me.

Personally I'm in the evaluate, then reevaluate frequently camp. You can usually get an idea if a calf is a good bull prospect (note..I said PROSPECT!) at weaning, but you should occasionally revisit that decision as he grows and matures.

Then the ultimate test is the calves he begets, or the daughters he leaves - depending on your priorities.

I've seen a number of outstanding looking bulls whose progeny looked rather ordinary. The best looking Anxiety 4th bull I ever saw in person was Premier Lamp 7. But I never saw a calf from him that I thought even came close to measuring up to their sire.

Conversely, I've seen some rather ordinary looking bulls that consistently sired a tremendous calf crop.

Even the so-called "experts" have trouble in predicting a bull's ultimate worth. Proof of that is how few of the National Show Champions go on to have stellar careers as breeding bulls. Very often they are outperformed as a breeding bull by a bull that placed somewhere down the line.

George

That is a very interesting and useful way of looking at the bull or steer question. I am starting to see that in my T21 heifers. Even though I sold him already, that bull sired some beautiful heifers. You guys did not think of him much as a "meat wagon" type but he has sired some beautiful daughters. They will start calving next spring. Hopefully the combination of T21's females and my new bull will produce some beefy calves. My neighbor who is sharing the new bull says he really likes his beefy conformation.

I would like #22 calf above to continue T21's cow-making and will keep an eye on him. Thank you the useful comments.

I don't want to hijack Harley's thread any more than I have already. This is an interesting topic especially since Harley has photos of an obviously great bull at an earlier age.

Jim

Herefords.US":3vykawt1 said:

George

The winner may not be the best breeding bull, but the best breeding bull is likely to be in the contest?

WichitaLineMan":2u4cfq3d said:
LOL...

To continue the one-upsmanship....Not until his daughters have raised 5 or six calves and you can ascertain his daughter's milking ability, udder quality, and fertility!

This is so true.

I like your bull Harley, I think that he is worth giving a try. :)

The question was RELIABLY judge a bull's POTENTIAL. After daughters have had several calves, the potential aspect should be long over

Latest posts