yearling bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Not quite 15 months old, has been in a growth test, will be shown some, weighs just short of 1400lbs, frame 5.9, but suspect he'll mature at around a 5.5, will be turned out with a few halfsibs on 1 October 2010

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

He looks really good to me. I really like the markings. Is he smooth headed? Do you have a pedigree on him that you could post?

He's scurred, all South African breeding in the lst 5 generations, but goes back to GK Renegade in the 6th generation.

Great looking bull Harley, I haven't posted a comment about a pic in a long time, this guy really catches my eye. Lots of width to him and very well balanced and as always you produce the depth, but I really like this guy. Do you have any pics of him at younger ages, I would like to see him at around 6 months or so, just to help educate my eye.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":2xxen38w said:
Great looking bull Harley, I haven't posted a comment about a pic in a long time, this guy really catches my eye. Lots of width to him and very well balanced and as always you produce the depth, but I really like this guy. Do you have any pics of him at younger ages, I would like to see him at around 6 months or so, just to help educate my eye.

Thanks,
Alan

not 100% sure on the date I took this photo, but he was between 5 and 6 months old

IMG_5434.jpg

He looks great. Just curious - what has he had for feed between the time of the 2 pics?

Nice looking bull. Wish some of mine looked like that.

You know that you will now be critized for (NEW) not enough white) :lol:

And to juice it up alittle if he had horns you might have something. ( hope you know I am just kidding)

Really good bull! If they looked like this around here, it would be possible to consider herefords. As of now, we have much too much north american influence here in sweden.

I must be getting senile since that is the first polled bull I have ever been able to look at a second time.

Maybe it's just the scurs but I like him, :D :D

Idaman":1a3o7la5 said:
I must be getting senile since that is the first polled bull I have ever been able to look at a second time.

It must be the scurs, then... ;-) Its only small scurs so you probably only like him a little bit. :?

purecountry":ytpn3nmk said:
He looks great. Just curious - what has he had for feed between the time of the 2 pics?

He was in a growth test from about 15 Jan - 8 May, then on what remained of the summer pasture till about 7 weeks ago then he was fed a corn and alfalfa ration to fatten him for show. He was turned out on pasture (if you can call it that) last Thursday where he runs with a first calf halfsib of his where he is getting a little barley just to keep him in that condition till the show at 30 Septmeber. After that it will be just whatever he can hustle.

KNERSIE":3ksdo8pf said:
Idaman":3ksdo8pf said:

It must be the scurs, then... ;-) Its only small scurs so you probably only like him a little bit. :?

Actually it was the quality hair coat that got me at first and then the rear leg. I have never lived in a place where hair quality wasn't important and refuse even to look at the overly slick ones.

Idaman":1x2e8uql said:
KNERSIE":1x2e8uql said:
Idaman":1x2e8uql said:

Actually it was the quality hair coat that got me at first and then the rear leg. I have never lived in a place where hair quality wasn't important and refuse even to look at the overly slick ones.

That just shows you the different requirements for different environments, I select for a very slick coat, mostly for parasite resisitance, but then I live in an endemic redwater and gallsickness area. My main criticism against this bull is his extremely heavy coat, although I'm sure he'll slick off nicely in summer, he did last summer anyway. I think I probably feel about backfat as you feel about a haircoat, come to think of it its probably because I breed slick cattle that I feel about the backfat the way I do. For me a hereford without the ability to store backfat in good times just isn't a hereford.

Awesome looking bull. Are there any Herefords out there that carry the line back anymore? I really like to see that white line on those herefords.And does it carry on to the offspring.

A lot of years ago I was down in Texas visiting with Carl Martin and he told me that some of the Hungerford Brahma cattle that were around Dallas had been killed several years before from having the fat on their backs freeze due to a freak freezing wind chill. Seems like the fat froze and then the kidneys couldn't function and that killed them. These were all show cattle that had a lot of fat on their backs but were very slick haired.

Farry Carpenter once told me that he had tried Scotch Highlander cattle thinking that with their hair coat they would thrive at Hayden, Colo. but he said that they nearly froze to death because that hair was just a thatch that was meant to shed rainwater but had no fur underneath for frigid temperatures.

Idaman":2bo06ddu said:
A lot of years ago I was down in Texas visiting with Carl Martin and he told me that some of the Hungerford Brahma cattle that were around Dallas had been killed several years before from having the fat on their backs freeze due to a freak freezing wind chill. Seems like the fat froze and then the kidneys couldn't function and that killed them. These were all show cattle that had a lot of fat on their backs but were very slick haired.

Farry Carpenter once told me that he had tried Scotch Highlander cattle thinking that with their hair coat they would thrive at Hayden, Colo. but he said that they nearly froze to death because that hair was just a thatch that was meant to shed rainwater but had no fur underneath for frigid temperatures.

That makes no sense, to me, at least. They were bred in Scotland where it gets dam cold in the winter. There is a herd of 40 or so just between Fairplay and Jefferson running at around 8500' and we both know how cold it gets in South Park in the winter. I think he mighta been whitewasing you a bit.

Harley
That's a great looking young bull. Looks like he really did well on test. Did you get any results on ADG yet?

Latest posts