Year Old Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

DeniseK

Reaction score
My son and daughter have 2 longhorn steers that they are wanting to show. We got them when they were 9 months old. We didn't have too much trouble getting halters on them, but we are having a terrible time getting them to walk on a lead rope. We are complete newbies with cattle. We have had goats, but this is our first year for cattle. I need some advice on how to get them comfortable walking on a lead rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:welcome: I won't be able to give any helpful advice on showing, but there are several on here that show and should be able to chime in. Fire Sweep Ranch, Jeanne - Simme Valley, and Boot Jack Bulls among others could be good resources for you. You might try posting this in the Show Board and see if you get any additional feedback there as well.

you could try putting a fairly long lead on them and just letting them lose in the pasture. every time they step on it they learn to stop

Hook lead rope to halter and tie them up for brief periods to a stout post at head height so they don't tangle on rope. Only need 2 or 3 feet of lead with a quick release knot. Too long and they'll get wrapped up in rope, which is not pretty and they can get hurt.

They will pull back and fight a bit, but eventually learn to give in to the rope. Pulling away makes halter put pressure behind hears which is uncomfortable. They learn by giving in it relieves the pressure.

After a few sessions of being tied up, once they stop fighting it, try leading them. If they resist, keep applying more pressure until they move forward toward you and rope goes slack. Reward them by relieving the pressure. When they pull against you, can also teach to move forward by giving treats.

After all this, if still resist, tie them with long rope to truck or something and slowly pull them until they give in. Stand with the rope while someone drives so they think you're leading them, not the truck or tractor.

Good luck.

Latest posts