Year end pictures.. reflection and forsight

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I didn't have enough sun to take pictures of all the animals (we only get an hour right now).. but did get a few.

Here's the bull calf I kept, He's weaned but still knows who momma is (behind him)

And here he is next to my late born heifer.. I figure she's about 350 lbs

The heifer and momma about a month ago (Momma is full sister to the bull calf)

Long yearling steer and his momma (right). I think he's looking pretty good so far

Here's Sabine.. the one with the GIANT udder at calving time.. And a demonstration of why you don't feed cattle with a nice truck!

I think I did pretty good this year, 23 calves due and all stayed healthy and alive.. Good prices were a nice boost that I'm sure few people around here have been complaining about.
My weaning weights were low this year, but a large part of that is because I weaned 2 months earlier than normal because I wanted fall feed for the cows.. Milking they were eating me out of house and home and I'd have had to start feeding far too early. I think I could have gotten a couple bucks more if I weaned the calves and held on to them for 4 weeks on hay.. perhaps I'll do that next year. Next year I'll definitely have to get on with the culling... I've got a full trailer of cows that need to grow wheels... I've procrastinated about it for 2 years, and it's paid off, but now that I'm on a feed crunch their time is up... I have 3 that are prolapse prone.. those are no brainers, and several cows that just never raise an impressive calf... they will go as well. I'll still keep a few that may or may not turn out.. Roma is one.. Her sisters are all great cows, but this year (first calf) she was a sore disappointment... I think part of the reason is she was at the bottom of the pecking order and didn't get enough feed (even calves bossed her around), and to make matters worse, I think they nursed her before calving, and that screwed with her milk... Of the first timers, she's the one that grew the most herself, and has started pushing back, so hopefully next year will be better.. for her sake. I have high hopes for her sister Kama.. She's much more bossy so won't suffer as much of getting pushed around, and she'd been developing nicely.. The other sister (Mother of the yearling steer above) made a very nice looking steer, but lost condition doing it... after weaning she regained it quickly.

If I could take the best traits of the 3 heifers I kept and put them into 1 animal, then I'd have one I'm really happy with... Tifa is the little devil, very pretty and correctly built, but a little smaller.. Springy is by far the biggest, largely due to being a very talented milk thief when young, but not as nicely built.. the 3rd, Bouncy, is OK but aggressive and hatchetassed.. but might have good milk and still turn out OK.
Of the 4 heifers that will have their first calves this spring, I think all will perform pretty well... Kama is nice, medium to large framed with good length and still looks filled out, Sofa is smaller framed but has a huge belly and will probably produce well, Tatla is also smaller and big bellied, the one I don't like as much there is Vatna.. she's SUPER large framed... at 2 years old she's 6" higher at the hip than Sofa and Tatla, and just looks leggy.. Her full sister is smaller framed and produces well.. the jury is out on her!
Of the 3 second calvers, They could all use some more condition.. none of them are putting it on as I'd have hoped, I have to separate them out...
There's 4 3rd calvers, they're all in fair condition and none have any strikes against them... I'd consider a replacement from any of them
for the 4th calvers I have Mega and Heckla.. Mega is bred a few weeks early so I have fresh colostrum for the rest of them if needed, and I think I could convince her to adopt if necessary.. Heckla is also a good cow.. they're the oldest Gelbvieh influenced cows. I think this new Limo bull will work well with all the smaller framed cows.. Hoping for all heifers from them and all steers from the SH influences.. (yeah right)
As for all the older cows.. they just gotta do what they've been doing...

Next year i'm going to split up the herd to better manage the grazing, meaning the little bull will get a couple cows of his own in his own pasture that I don't want the big girls digging potholes in.

And little does this guy know his fate in late spring!

Beautiful scenery and cattle. Sounds like a good year. Hope this next one will be a good one too. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Once we get some better daylight around here and less snow glare I'll try and get some better pics up... none of the pictures of the replacement heifers turned out

ONE HOUR of sunshine? I can't imagine it!

It's lovely down the other end of the world, starting the new year in brilliant sunshine and warmth, after a nice inch of rain overnight. Could hardly be better. Happy New Year, all of you. :)

I agree about the beautiful scenery, and also can't imagine only an hour of daylight. On our shortest day here we still get 10 hours or more. Those are some nice-looking cattle, but something you said caught my attention. You said "I have 3 that are prolapse prone". Does that mean you've had cows that prolapsed and you kept them? I replied to another discussion a few days ago about my reasons for culling and it never occurred to me to list prolapse. I assumed that everyone culled a cow that had prolapsed. Maybe I was wrong.

We have lots of *daylight*.. just only an hour of sunshine... We're in an north/south valley and the sun just peeks between the mountains at this time of year.. Come about mid february the sun clears the mountain and we get lots of sun again.. which is why I calve out in march :)

With the prolapse prone cows, it is always vaginal prolapse... it usually isn't too serious, especially if I don't keep them in the corral and they do nothing by lay down all day. I figured I could safely get another calf or two from them before culling without running into too many problems... I took a gamble, and it's looking like it'll pay off.. the 3 cows in question will have given me 6 additional calves, plus butcher prices for them have gone up.

Here's a good picture of the little devil Tifa as a young'un

Mega being a good samaritan.. She's not that big on the idea but seemed to put up with it

And the bull calf with momma at the feed bunk

And what a pose!.. If I can get him to pose like that at a couple years old I think it might be pretty impressive!

Roma with her calf.. Like mother like daughter for sure!

Mega again with Lazyboy

Nesi,
Your place is extra terrestrial to a guy living on swamp flats here in Louisiana.
Very nice.
The stock too.

The landscape on the ranch across the river is mostly manmade from placer mining in the 1800's.. some amazing amounts of material were moved by water and by hand!

you'd be welcome to :) I have to renew my passport, and even then I don't know if I feel like travelling much.. but with $2 a gallon fuel, it could be tempting

I will just have to say beautiful too. Thank you for sharing those great pictures. You have some good looking cattle. I can tell that they are well taken care of.

Latest posts