WWll veterans are tough.

Help Support CattleToday:

You aren't kidding Grit.
This article hangs on our fridge as a reminder. Its about my wife's grandfather, who was a gunner on the USS DeHaven, which accompanied the USS Missouri for the surrender at Tokyo Bay. He is someone I admire and have the utmost respect for...pretty dang good cattleman too!

We have one left at church he was a Navy frogman forerunners of the SEALs.
He blew holes in the coral reefs off Iwo and Okinawa. There was a larger landing craft that brought trucks and tanks. I can't remember what he called the vessels.

True Grit Farms":35tc9ho1 said:
Bright Raven":35tc9ho1 said:
True Grit Farms":35tc9ho1 said:

And don't really give a dang what anyone thinks.

Is that your dad?
Nope just a friend of my dad's, they eat breakfast together and yell at each other.

I am getting there. I have a small group I see about once a month. I am the youngest. Goes from me at 67 up to the oldest at 74. None of us hear real well. In another couple years, we will be yelling at each other.

Bright Raven":2qu2g57x said:
True Grit Farms":2qu2g57x said:
Bright Raven":2qu2g57x said:
Is that your dad?
Nope just a friend of my dad's, they eat breakfast together and yell at each other.

I am getting there. I have a small group I see about once a month. I am the youngest. Goes from me at 67 up to the oldest at 74. None of us hear real well. In another couple years, we will be yelling at each other.
The only thing worse than their hearing is their driving, but please don't tell either one I said that.

Lots of WWII veterans in my family. My dad was born in 1921. He was youngest of 11 children. Mom was youngest of 5. So I had 16 uncles of WWII age.

I grew up in an environment where the Great Depression and WWII were always topics at every event. I listened to Uncles tell stories about Europe, the Pacific, the Battered Basturds of Bastogne, etc. My Uncle Bill on mom's side was the first wave of Infantry troups to land on the coasts of Japan after the atomic bombs. Amazing that they occupied Japan with no concern for residual radioactive residues.

Latest posts