WW-B Dahl Bluestem

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am in the process of killing 15 acres of KR and I was set on sprigging coastal this winter but the more I read about WW-B Dahl Bluestem the more I like it. This year we are very dry and it seems the KR is still doing very well compared to native grasses. I read that Dahl is drought tolerant as well. I guess my question is can I keep the KR from coming back if I plant Dahl this spring? Also what is the protein difference between good coastal hay and good Dahl hay? I am interested in squares bales to sell to horse people and I am wondering about Dahl as horse hay if its cut when it younger. I was planning on using a weed wiper with gly if I sprigged coastal to kill the KR if any came back. What strategy would I use to kill out any KR in a Dahl field? Thanks for the input

Well trying to please horse people is a tall order. In general, you will have better odds selling coastal to any one. Not saying it's better, but it's more recognizable to people so it sells. Most people will grab up junk coastal over great B Dahl just because its coastal and it's what they know.

B Dahl makes great hay.

Probably need to do a soil test. Pretty sure some one else can explain that in more detail.

I've got a good bit of Dahl on my place in lampasas/Mills county.. and I've hayed a bunch of it for neighbor's. It makes great hay with low amounts of nitrogen when cut fairly young. Great horse hay. But as brute said your gonna have to be a salesman, it won't sell itself. It really shines as pasture in shallow Rocky soils.
I really think Kline is better for good ground. But that won't work for your plan. I think Bermuda will be your best bet...it's what your customer wants.

Takes a couple of years to really get rid of kr imo. Spray the hell outta it right now. Grow you a crop of haygrazer next year which will choke it out.. the next winter get your ground ready for sprigging. Once the coastal is established regular cutting and fertilizer should control the kr.

Latest posts