Bluestem hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
If you had the chance to get inexpensive bluestem hay, would you do it, knowing that with incidental seeding it could be invasive…?

Yes....if your talking about Big bluestem, would like to have some mixed in my pastures....very palatable they say...continuous grazing will kill it out, same as it does Johnsongrass.

If it is big bluestem or what's called Indian grass here I'd buy all I could.

That stuff grows from March till October here and will grow when it's hot and dry.

I disagree.
If it's kr or silver and a good buy I'll buy it
Just expect to have to supplement it some. This isn't the year to be a hay snob. As far as seed being brought in. I've got no problem with kr in the pasture. It's everywhere for a reason. It grows well in central Texas climate and soil without high fertilizer demand. I'll be rolling a couple hundred bales of kr tomorrow. It's already sold.

I disagree.
If it's kr or silver and a good buy I'll buy it
Just expect to have to supplement it some. This isn't the year to be a hay snob. As far as seed being brought in. I've got no problem with kr in the pasture. It's everywhere for a reason. It grows well in central Texas climate and soil without high fertilizer demand. I'll be rolling a couple hundred bales of kr tomorrow. It's already sold.
Squares, $5/bale.