Wrong but consistant

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So in the late fall early winter I bought 67 bred cows. They were preg check by the sale yard vets. I selected cows that were determined to have calves in February and March. There was 12 calves born in January. Here we are nearly at the end of March and it is looking like there will be 12 calves born in April (or maybe later). Hmmmmm

Any more, I just say 'bred' or 'open'. From about 45 days to 3-4 months I feel reasonably comfortable giving an estimated time... but beyond that, it's a guess (at least for me), that I'm not inclined to make.
Couple of years back, I was checking cows for our kids... I called one 5-6 months... she exited the chute, went out into the holding lot and laid down and delivered a calf about 30 minutes later, while we were still working the rest of the herd. Embarrassing...

Sounds consistent as far as preg check results.
I think a lot of times at the stockyards, they are running through fast and probably not putting a lot of time into trying to determine as close as possible.
The vet we get to check ours said it's difficult to pinpoint exact timing once it gets to a certain point due to positioning. I think it was around 4 months that he said that it was hard to get it very exact.
Another thing that I think is a factor is the size of the calf. Calves from our bull are small and a lot times are about 3 weeks to month earlier than what they are checked at. These are lots of times 40-50 pound calves.

It can be a toss up for sure. I have bought cows January that were March/April bred, and some calved within the first week after bring them home.

Any more, I just say 'bred' or 'open'. From about 45 days to 3-4 months I feel reasonably comfortable giving an estimated time... but beyond that, it's a guess (at least for me), that I'm not inclined to make.
Couple of years back, I was checking cows for our kids... I called one 5-6 months... she exited the chute, went out into the holding lot and laid down and delivered a calf about 30 minutes later, while we were still working the rest of the herd. Embarrassing...
Sounds like something I'd do..

We are all human and prone to be mistaken at times. Checking early is much more accurate than later.

So in the late fall early winter I bought 67 bred cows. They were preg check by the sale yard vets. I selected cows that were determined to have calves in February and March. There was 12 calves born in January. Here we are nearly at the end of March and it is looking like there will be 12 calves born in April (or maybe later). Hmmmmm
That's too bad, we all know your program and those later calves don't fit it so well. What's the plan for these later cows/calves?

That's too bad, we all know your program and those later calves don't fit it so well. What's the plan for these later cows/calves?
The cows get shipped about August 15. So the calves get weaned that day no matter how old they are. Calves stay in the corral for 4 or 5 days to get the bawl out of them and then out to irrigated hay field regrowth. Once the grass is gone the calves go to town. Last year we held back some real small dinks. I think doing that actually cost us money. It cost to feed those little guys and they don't grow very well in November.

Ultrasounding does not get that much more accurate once they are in the 5-8 month range... Have 2 vets VERY PROFICIENT at ultra sound and they both say the same thing...
Had a vet that was so good at palpating he would get it within 2 days of what the AI date or seen bred by the bull date was... before we would tell him when they were bred... until they hit about 5 months... and then he would give you an "approximate"....
@gcreekrch is exactly right... early is much more accurate...

Early in the pregnancy, the vet actually gets a feel for what ours called the "slip"... has to do with how much fluid is in the uterus and the horn.... if real early, like 25 to 35 or 45 days, if the vet isn't very light with the touch, they can often slip the pregnancy...
Once it goes over the pelvis and into the body cavity, when it is in the 4+ month range, then it is somewhat on size of fetus and also on size of the cotolydens that attach the placenta to the walls of the uterus...
And a cow very close to calving can sometimes feel like they are not that close... or even "empty" because the calf is so far down in the "belly" that they can't always reach it well... so you think it is farther off...
And I am no "hand" at feeling the slip when shorter bred... I can tell after about 5 months and then it is a "definitely pregnant" or I don't feel anything...but not 100 % sure....

Early in the pregnancy, the vet actually gets a feel for what ours called the "slip"... has to do with how much fluid is in the uterus and the horn.... if real early, like 25 to 35 or 45 days, if the vet isn't very light with the touch, they can often slip the pregnancy...
Once it goes over the pelvis and into the body cavity, when it is in the 4+ month range, then it is somewhat on size of fetus and also on size of the cotolydens that attach the placenta to the walls of the uterus...
And a cow very close to calving can sometimes feel like they are not that close... or even "empty" because the calf is so far down in the "belly" that they can't always reach it well... so you think it is farther off...
And I am no "hand" at feeling the slip when shorter bred... I can tell after about 5 months and then it is a "definitely pregnant" or I don't feel anything...but not 100 % sure....
If in doubt, feel for uterine artery as it passes over the pelvic opening. It is very obvious once you feel for first time. Maybe no staging to happen but definately a pregnancy.

alltersound them and you cant miss. we dont sleave or buy any ones that are mainley heifers
:confused: ?...One has to sleeve a female bovine to perform the ultrasound. Even a male bovine is sleeved as part of his breeding soundness exam.

Our vet says anything under 45 days is tough to tell and once they get closer it's a bred but not sure if it's 7mths or tomorrow kind of thing. He's fairly new taking over for our old vet we loved. But old vet has been at it long time, happy to see him enjoy retirement. Sold cow couple weeks ago because I had to cull one and she was 2mths past preg check date and not even bagging up. Weighed 1600 so she brought decent.

Ultrasounding does not get that much more accurate once they are in the 5-8 month range... Have 2 vets VERY PROFICIENT at ultra sound and they both say the same thing...
Had a vet that was so good at palpating he would get it within 2 days of what the AI date or seen bred by the bull date was... before we would tell him when they were bred... until they hit about 5 months... and then he would give you an "approximate"....
@gcreekrch is exactly right... early is much more accurate...
Selave 100 heifers and ull loose 2 or more calves ur vets dont have thee right ultrasound . the cheep one might. mine will even tell u the sex and date.

Latest posts