Would you?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Would you buy a bull that you knew had to be pulled? Found her calving at 3am and his feet were cold. Hard pull by hand, calf has everything else going for it at the moment. Right pedigree, decent weight of 93# out of a PB Simmental heifer. Calf was exactly what it should have been. Didn't breed enough calving ease into him, knew it going in but I wanted to roll the dice. Was hoping for a heifer and a shorter gestation!

PS I want to cut him (always do if I pull them) Wife tho thinks he is way to good to cut in June when we do our first round of shots, cut, etc. He is really a stand out. I don't think I can sleep at night even marketing him to the right person to put on the right kind of COWS, I really hope I win this battle with the wife!

I'd tell the client to put him on middle aged cows that he thinks can have a larger calf and wash my hands of it. 93 isn't THAT big. Now if he has shoulders like mike Tyson that might be a different story

Wouldn't bother me in the least, and his birth weigh is right on track. If everything else is good I would sure buy it.
I bought a RA bull last year with a 114 lb birth weight, but looking at his dams line and his sires line there were no problems. And so far I haven't had any problems this spring.

Combo of BW and heifer were the problem. Just be honest as some said and he will do a breeder of purebred cows or commercial cows a good job.

Ebenezer said:
Combo of BW and heifer were the problem. Just be honest as some said and he will do a breeder of purebred cows or commercial cows a good job.
Thank you. I have to be honest on him. Put it on snapchat and Facebook that I assisted him already! I just really dislike pulling calves! But I hate little dinks even worse!

I've kept a high birthweight (born unassisted) bull.. Have his calves now, had to help a heifer, nothing too serious... I have had some big calves from him, but I've also had some unusually light calves too.. On average birthweights are the same as they always are. I'm really liking the calves though.

Wouldn't bother me. I would definitely be open and honest with a potential customer when it comes time to sell. Let them know and they may prefer the higher BW for certain mommas.

5S Cattle said:
I'd tell the client to put him on middle aged cows that he thinks can have a larger calf and wash my hands of it. 93 isn't THAT big. Now if he has shoulders like mike Tyson that might be a different story

Shoulders can be just as bad of a problem as weight. I had a heifer bull throw weird shoulders on his calves and we had to help the heifers he bred. All that was needed was to pull on one leg to get that last shoulder blade out. No chains, no winches, just work the shoulders out. I know some will argue this point, but unless you've dealt with this problem, you wont understand it. Find a cow with a stuck calf but the head is out...…….shoulders.....

I wouldn't buy because there's no reason I'd have to. Obviously some would but a person can buy some pretty high performance, high birthweight bulls that haven't been pulled so why take a chance? In fact I won't buy a bull out of a heifer because the first calf is usually small so I don't trust the birthweight to begin with. Same for twins. There's lot's of bulls out there. Stick to your standards as a seller and your clients will respect you for it. As soon as you don't cut that one bull you can't honestly say you cut all the bulls that had to be pulled.

Rydero said:
I wouldn't buy because there's no reason I'd have to. Obviously some would but a person can buy some pretty high performance, high birthweight bulls that haven't been pulled so why take a chance? In fact I won't buy a bull out of a heifer because the first calf is usually small so I don't trust the birthweight to begin with. Same for twins. There's lot's of bulls out there. Stick to your standards as a seller and your clients will respect you for it. As soon as you don't cut that one bull you can't honestly say you cut all the bulls that had to be pulled.
I agree with everything but buying out of heifers!

The question you have ask yourself is would you use him? If the answer is yes, then keep him a bull and tell every buyer that he was pulled. He will sell or he wont but you can sleep at night with a clear conscience

jscunn said:
The question you have ask yourself is would you use him? If the answer is yes, then keep him a bull and tell every buyer that he was pulled. He will sell or he wont but you can sleep at night with a clear conscience
That's the worst part of the deal, yes I would use him in a heart beat. She is a PB Simmental and calving ease epd of top 40%, her sire is old school bull Autobahn. Used a bull on her (Red Angus) only in top 55% CED I knew I was probably using to much power on her but I "thought" she would handle it, and prayed for a heifer calf. Well it came back to bite me!

Latest posts