Would you use a classified section?

Help Support CattleToday:

Would you like to see a classified section on CattleToday?

• Yes

Votes: 197 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 11.3%

• Total voters
A lot of years ago there was a classified section on CT. It was dropped because of issues. That was long enough ago I don't remember what the issues were or even the years that it was on here.

Obviously it wouldnt be much good for me. But would be good to browse through. I find sites like gumtree and craigslist are full of spam and time wasters. They dont get much traffic. Facebook market place has taken over and gets enormous traffic but animal sales are banned and ads have to be ever trickier to get around that. But facebook seems to be cracking down even harder now days. So a good classified section would be handy but i just dont see it getting enough traffic of buyers or sellers. Another macinery forum im on tried and it fizzled for that reason.

Would you use a classified forum here?

Beyond voting, if you vote yes, can you please reply here with what you would be interested in selling or buying through the forum.
Yes I would probably use it for selling cattle once in a while.

Voted Yes. Cattle, Semen & Embryos, Equipment, Misc. Could add more categories when/if more interest/ads. DEFINITELY a nominal fee for advertising AND expiration dates to keep it less "cluttered".

Beyond voting, if you vote yes, can you please reply here with what you would be interested in selling or buying through the forum.
Yes. I'm in south central PA and would buy/sell hay, fencing/farm equip, machines, feed, bulls and cows

I think it could be a useful part of the site. But it could also become scamy like lots of other classified sites are. I would say it needs to be restricted to active members. Maybe a certain level of activity or length of account for those that don't post, just read. Probably need to be pretty restricted on what kinds of things to be sold. I think it will take a lot of moderation to be useful.

I come at this from a different angle, since I no longer have a true physical connection to cattle.
Any farm related small tools, ag related yard art, farm related antiques, farm art, I'm also in the market for a vehicle.

Tho I still have hopes of buying or leasing a small tract on which to raise a steer each year for my own consumption (and enjoyment) if I ever again get physically able to do it, I would in the interim be much innterested in buying home grown packaged beef. I read more and more people here at CT that are selling it and a classified section here at CT (imo) could help them find their customers and vice versa. Who better to buy from than all you fine people I know so well?

Yes, as long as the postings of items for sale stays in the classifieds section.
There should be a nominal cost to post, and the post should expire after 30-60 days to keep things fresh. I don't want to see the old post or posts after the item has sold and is no longer available. There should be a way to filter the items for sale based on location, distance from a certain zip code like Tractorhouse has.

Cattle
Semen/ Embryos
Livestock services, like AI or embryo work
Equipment
Hay/Feed
Ranches for sale or lease
What J+ said and can we assume it will be a fee based service regarding livestock transactions? Has there been a Board discussion
and decision rendered as to the rate of sales commission for using the service for livestock and/or other goods and services?

I voted yes but like many location tends to be my issue on large group classifieds. With work 6days a week and family, trips that take a big part of my day just don't happen.

On the upside... if you want more people on the forum... a classified section might generate new members.

There is still the issue with editing and/or deleting a post once something is sold.

Yes. I'm always on the hunt for something or selling something else. Mostly would be cattle or equipment.

On the upside... if you want more people on the forum... a classified section might generate new members.

There is still the issue with editing and/or deleting a post once something is sold.
on most forums I use the poster is responsible for marking posts sold, sold pending funds or withdrawn. there are always those who forget but generally it seems to work pretty well…

on most forums I use the poster is responsible for marking posts sold, sold pending funds or withdrawn. there are always those who forget but generally it seems to work pretty well…
But on this site we can't edit our posts after fifteen(?) minutes. We need to be able to delete or edit whenever the item is sold. Or would moderators have to be notified so the post could be deleted? Or could there be an automatic delete after 30(?) days?

Latest posts