Would It Make A Difference?

Help Support CattleToday:

bmoss1

Reaction score
If you were at your local Sale Barn, looking to buy 500# to 700# heifers, would you be more likely to pay more if you knew that they were vac'd for Bangs, Blackleg and worked daily from birth? Or would it not make any difference at all?

Yes of course, but those heifers would still recieve a round of shots. There is no way of knowing what these heifers may have been exposed to during there being mingled with other animals.

houstoncutter":2gzcg2i0 said:
Yes of course, but those heifers would still recieve a round of shots. There is no way of knowing what these heifers may have been exposed to during there being mingled with other animals.

:nod:

For the most part you can recognize cattle that have never seen people. I have come home with wreckless cattle a few times, and they went back. The problem there is the time and effort you spend rounding them back up. But, if you buy enough, you will eventually wind up with one that you wish you hadn't bought. The difference with sale barn cattle is price of course.

Heifers are something that can be difficult. There is no developed udder and no real track record. That is where ear adds value in my book. If she has lots of ear, she'll likely make an excellent cow. Hopefully you are picking up a terminal gal that cannot be bred back to her grandsire, so she is being sold.

Yes, It makes a differences I would bid with confidence and more willing to pay a higher amount it also lets me know what I have to do and what not to do

It would probably make a difference if you knew it.. in this area they don't ever specify which animals have been vaccinated. Which is why the special replacement heifer sales and backgrounded feeder calf sales are gaining popularity.

A while back there was a study out where they asked big order buyer if they would pay more knew ____________ . They asked about 20 different things. The number one thing that they were willing to pay more money for was to know the vaccination schedule for the calves.
When I sell calves I always make sure the auctioneer has the information and that they announce it. In fact I quit selling at one sale yard because it is like pulling teeth to get them to announce that information.
People pay more knowing calves have been vaccinated. I certainly would. It take some of the risk out of it.

Latest posts