Worst weather for working cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I would bet that we'd all agree that the WORST weather would be anything that would involve a negative windchill and over 1' of snow ... but I just HATE working cattle in the mud at 34 degrees, windy and rainy.

:yuck:

WalnutCrest":3htphr6v said:
I would bet that we'd all agree that the WORST weather would be anything that would involve a negative windchill and over 1' of snow ... but I just HATE working cattle in the mud at 34 degrees, windy and rainy.

Sounds dreadful. Was this your only opportunity?

I agree--would much rather have sub freezing temps and North wind than a drizzling rain and 34 deg temps. It chills man and beast to the bone.

We're going to build a roof over our head catch and maybe put some door slides in so we can make a few sliding doors to roll in place as a wind break but have out of the way for hot weather.
I have a old patio heater that the wind tore up, going to take it apart and mount it above us. The heat comes down from it. Will make a world of difference.

Rain and mud has to be the worst for me. Bought a bull recently that had his entire working area covered. It was nice!

I have found mine taking cover behind the barn a time or two trying to escape a wind driven cold rain. I usually give them a little supplement during those times or the better hay.

James T":jkb59hod said:
Rain and mud has to be the worst for me. Bought a bull recently that had his entire working area covered. It was nice!

I'm having difficulty visualising that. Any photos of this bull?

Wind-driven rain is about the worst we get here (aside from the occasional flurry of giant hail) and since the cows have to come in for milking twice a day, every day, if it happens we're moving cattle in it :cry: :cry:
Makes me wish for some windbreaks round the milking shed. We have an iron fence, that extends for a few metres. In bad wind the cows get there and stop - because for those few yards they're in shelter. The worst words I know won't get them moving again. Then there's those days that the weather is so bad they won't leave the shelter of the milking bails once they're milked...

:lol2: A case of the typing speed not keeping up with the brain. The individual from whom I bought the bull had a very nice covered working area. I'm still trying to figure out how to come up with the budget to do something similar.

I would imagine your weather conditions are much more severe than ours but mud really sucks when moving the cattle.

WalnutCrest":17vjgl5t said:

I would love working cattle in 1' of show and negative temps. Here in the Pacific NW you work cattle half the year in 34 Deg, Mud, wind and rain :)

RoppFamilyFarm":18deb0ih said:
WalnutCrest":18deb0ih said:

I would love working cattle in 1' of show and negative temps. Here in the Pacific NW you work cattle half the year in 34 Deg, Mud, wind and rain :)

HA, Your in the valley, You have no idea what REAL rain,wind and mud is! :lol:

I like -5 to -10C, or about 15-25F.. just enough to keep everything frozen and dry.

The only thing worse than mud when it's 34F and raining is 4" of ice everywhere! We get a lot of that here.

Welcome to my world from about November through March. We rarely freeze up but stay in the 30's and it is wet most days.

crimsoncrazy":2kjemlgn said:
I would guess it would be worse on the cattle at 100+ during the summer in the shade.

I don't think so ... I think "mud + 34 + wind + rain" is worse than "100+ in the shade". Now, if you added in 90+ humidity and a full belly of August fescue, then, there's a decent chance I'd agree with you.

Trust me working cattle in the summer in Alabama is about as bad as it gets. Last year the cattle were all standing in the pond when we were going to put some anti insect tags in and we almost could not get them out. I went to saddle a horse and she gave me the same look my wife does, when she says, " Really? Really? Are you serious?"
Right now I have thick slick mud, the red kind that will pull your boot off and leave you standing ankle deep with one boot on and just a sock on the other. The Grand kid was riding his 4 wheeler the the other day in his favorite mud bog and had to walk out to get someone with the tractor to come rescue the 4 wheeler. He could not believe how cold the mud was when he fell backwards in it trying to get to dry land. His Grandmother made him undress in the carport even though it was in the 30's out there. His jeans and jacket and boots are still there. She wont put them in the new washer. LOL
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Latest posts