worst buzzard year

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":3eu3vw6p said:
Ask CB or some of the guys in Texas about these creature Sky, they have been fighting them for years. My understanding is they are fairly new to northern Kentucky and as luck would have it there is a roost across the Ohio River from our farm that they tell me hosts a population of over 200 of them. I plan to look into that tomorrow.

Knock on wood I haven't had any problems this year. but about 15 miles noth of me I see them roosting in a cypress swamp. Every evening about an hour before dark the trees afull of them. the place where there at has about a 100 head of cows but I've only seen the buzzards on the ground with a cow calving one time this year.

If it was one my place I would have a turkey shoot about dark with everyone I could muster up and 3.5" turkey loads. 3 , 2, 1, bang

M5farm":22ynq5id said:
TennesseeTuxedo":22ynq5id said:
Ask CB or some of the guys in Texas about these creature Sky, they have been fighting them for years. My understanding is they are fairly new to northern Kentucky and as luck would have it there is a roost across the Ohio River from our farm that they tell me hosts a population of over 200 of them. I plan to look into that tomorrow.

Knock on wood I haven't had any problems this year. but about 15 miles noth of me I see them roosting in a cypress swamp. Every evening about an hour before dark the trees afull of them. the place where there at has about a 100 head of cows but I've only seen the buzzards on the ground with a cow calving one time this year.

If it was one my place I would have a turkey shoot about dark with everyone I could muster up and 3.5" turkey loads. 3 , 2, 1, bang

M5 we think alike ... thats why I asked tennesse how far they were from his shore.... although I would probably be more prone to use # 4 buckshot but still same principal lol

Hey Sky, I don't know yet. I haven't seen the roost. The Ohio River is fairly wide at the dam where we are located so I won't be able to bother them over there. I'm debating between building a buzzard trap to draw them in or going the opposite direction and making sure that if we lose any animals to natural death we get them buried before the buzzards can come in on them. Something about intentionally baiting for them seems counter productive to a point because I'll wind up feeding them during the week when I can't be there to shoot 'em.

Tough call....

ROCKSPRINGS":3oigff6d said:
I like the way they blow up when they get hit with a 17HMR ballistic tip. I think they are a protected species in Texas. SSS

I imagine that is a fun way but not near as satisfying as 15 to 20 in a pile

The Mexican vultures around here aren't welcomed as they can and have caused livestock problems. If they find a cow that is having trouble having a calf, they will peck the cows rear end and the eyes. I had that happen to one of our heifers two years ago and it's not a pretty picture.

The only ones I've had trouble with were the ones with the white wingtips, aka Mexican vulture, the other vultures clean up the body which helps keep the fire ants to a minimum.

TennesseeTuxedo":2vu0qkuh said:
Hey Sky, I don't know yet. I haven't seen the roost. The Ohio River is fairly wide at the dam where we are located so I won't be able to bother them over there. I'm debating between building a buzzard trap to draw them in or going the opposite direction and making sure that if we lose any animals to natural death we get them buried before the buzzards can come in on them. Something about intentionally baiting for them seems counter productive to a point because I'll wind up feeding them during the week when I can't be there to shoot 'em.

Tough call....

gotcha maybe im mistaken but I thought I heard of my grandparents and older uncles talk about some kind of rar on some either roofing paper or tarp and acted as a mouse glue trap i dont recall if they were talking about trying to do that or there were some back in the day people used either way I never saw one. I did look online and found this which may be an option for you and may require a lil changes but could help you.

http://www.crowbusters.com/crowtrap.htm

This is the Mexican Black Headed Vulture that is invading the U.S.

black_vulture_sim_2.jpg

869178_t607.JPG

They are pushing out the Turkey Vulture (which is pretty mild mannered)

turkey_vulture_1.jpg

turkeyVulture.jpg

The black headed vultures are in the urban areas too. I see them sitting on the tall buildings in Houston all of the time.
This is an article about them with pics: http://www.frontporchnewstexas.com/mexicanbuzzards042611.htm

We have had 1 calf killed this year and see several roosting spots around my cattle. .. Still a few more cows to calve this year. . Guess we'll see if they stay away.. doubt it, but who knows

Do not have much of a problem with buzzards but the hawks and ravens are out in numbers this yr,,,,,, was a discussion in the local coffee shop just the other day...The hawks are protected and will grab a cat or small dog in a heart beat and a small goat or lamb too
SSS the best thing to do

Latest posts