Worming my heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I have 24 recently purchased heifers averaging 500#. We gave them their first respiratory and blackleg vaccines this week and will follow up with their boosters in a few weeks. My question is concerning worming them. I live in Northern Arkansas and the weather is still very warm (at least at the present), but we have some of the craziest weather around. It could be snowing next week. Anyway, if at all possible I would like to go ahead and worm them when we give them their booster shots, but I don't know if the timing will be right. I have heard to wait until after the first killing frost, which will likely not have taken place by the time we give the other shots. The question that I have is, when is it dangerous to worm them as far as killing the grubs? Does that have something to do with whether or not it has frosted yet? Will it be safe to go ahead and worm them even if we haven't had a killing frost by then? Thanks in advance.

Zach

I don't know about Arkansas but have been told here in Ohio that timing can be important.
When to Treat Cattle with Grubs

IVOMEC Pour-On effectively controls all stages of cattle grubs. However, proper timing of treatment is important. For the most effective results, cattle should be treated as soon as possible after the end of the heel fly (warble fly) season. While this is not peculiar to ivermectin, destruction of Hypoderma larvae (cattle grubs) at the period when these grubs are in vital areas may cause undesirable host-parasite reactions. Killing Hypoderma lineatum when it is in the esophageal tissues may cause bloat; killing H. bovis when it is in the vertebral canal may cause staggering or paralysis. Cattle should be treated either before or after these stages of grub development.

Cattle treated with IVOMEC Pour-On at the end of the fly season may be re-treated with IVOMEC during the winter without danger of grub-related reactions. For further information and advice on a planned parasite control program, consult your veterinarian

harry":13b3m39w said:
I don't know about Arkansas but have been told here in Ohio that timing can be important.
When to Treat Cattle with Grubs

IVOMEC Pour-On effectively controls all stages of cattle grubs. However, proper timing of treatment is important. For the most effective results, cattle should be treated as soon as possible after the end of the heel fly (warble fly) season. While this is not peculiar to ivermectin, destruction of Hypoderma larvae (cattle grubs) at the period when these grubs are in vital areas may cause undesirable host-parasite reactions. Killing Hypoderma lineatum when it is in the esophageal tissues may cause bloat; killing H. bovis when it is in the vertebral canal may cause staggering or paralysis. Cattle should be treated either before or after these stages of grub development.

Cattle treated with IVOMEC Pour-On at the end of the fly season may be re-treated with IVOMEC during the winter without danger of grub-related reactions. For further information and advice on a planned parasite control program, consult your veterinarian

The timing of grubacides can be problematic, we're in MO and typically use one in October-early November with no problems. A local large animal vet should be able to tell you if it's safe this time of year. If it is a concern, use a wormer now that isn;t a grubacide and use a grubacide in the spring when you worm again.

Out of curiosity, why is killing the grubs at certain times harmful/fatal to cattle? I have never heard it explained and do not understand it at all.

Thanks again

Z&J Cattle":2b8dldbz said:
Out of curiosity, why is killing the grubs at certain times harmful/fatal to cattle? I have never heard it explained and do not understand it at all.

Thanks again

If the grubs are in the esophogus it can cause strangulation/choking if they die there and if they're too near the spinal column it can cause paralysis or other motile problems.
Here's a better explanation:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG126

Thanks everyone for all the info. SO, given this info, what time of year is it NOT safe for me to worm in my area? (North Arkansas)

Z&J Cattle":27opjymw said:
Thanks everyone for all the info. SO, given this info, what time of year is it NOT safe for me to worm in my area? (North Arkansas)

You can worm anytime of year. It's only the grubacides that make it dangerous.

Latest posts