worming dosages

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
I will be worming my stock soon. as I don't have a scale, I will be guessing individual weights. I use normectin injectable; question is since I won't be exact, will I be better off guessing slightly high or slightly low?

We always used a weight tape before we got scales. Makes it a little better that a eyeball guess.

I agree with the weigh tape. We got a scale last fall, and I was really surprised on the cows how much I was guessing wrong! I can hit the calves pretty close, but those cows can really fool me! I always thought most of my cows were 1100 to 1200 pounds, but they are more like 1200 to 1500! Way under-dosing. I can honestly say, I feel like I am saving money now when we treat or worm, since I know each time I am giving accurate doses.

High. Sitting through a sale and guessing weights probably wouldn't hurt, if you're not already spot on.

thanx for the advice to all of ya. I went with the high side, and they all seem full of pis and vinegar today. I've set through a few livestock auctions, ricebelt, and yes it helps a lot.....

Latest posts