Wormer blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

I have tried the blocks, shots, etc. The blocks I never knew which ones was getting how much- the shots I have to pin them up- the best and easiest to use, and for seeing the best results for my small herd I have found is the Safeguard paste. I dump feed in the trough and as they are in a line eating I squeeze out enough for a cow on top of the feed and continue down the line. I can tell a big difference in them since I used the paste, I guess I wasn't getting enough wormer in them with the blocks.

Haven't seen any in a while but a couple of companies in Tx use to make a range cube with Safeguard in it. Just feed the cubes and worm the cows. Last time I saw any that had a big wash tub full of them and you just weighed out what you needed.

We tried the Safeguard blocks one time and we had a single cow eat about all of one block and a number of cows that never tried them. That was years ago. since then, from reading, it seems that some cattle can develop resistance to worms when mature. So we quit worming anything over 3 YO about 10 or 12 years ago. We worm young stock but more therapeutically and really do not see a lot of signs of wormy cattle. Maybe I ought to do like we do the sheep and cull anything that needs worming and quit the treatment of all under 3 YO. The sheep sure seem to have benefited from the selection pressure.

I have used the safeguard pellets on a few head. It seemed to work but you can't beat the injection then you know where it is going.

jcarkie":g8qngwv6 said:
I have used the safeguard pellets on a few head. It seemed to work but you can't beat the injection then you know where it is going.
Blocks work well for lazy old pharts like me. :nod: :lol:

Latest posts