Working pens

Help Support CattleToday:

What does the top section serve as? Is that the "alley way" to get them into the chute? I like this design, but might build it without that top section.

MudHog":5ykbph9f said:
What does the top section serve as? Is that the "alley way" to get them into the chute? I like this design, but might build it without that top section.

Yes, I call it the alley, and wouldn't have the pens without it. When you're working cattle I don't think you can have too many different pens to hold small groups (just like you can't have too many gates).

As far as what it serves as, I can hold some in there while working the rest, or I can put a small group in there and sort them back into the larger pen. I can put them into the loading chute from either the alley or the larger working pen. Or I can turn the cattle from the barbed wire trap back out to the pasture through the alley without putting them through the larger working pen (because I never let them back out the same gate where I let them in. It's much easier to get them into the smaller pens when I need them if they're accustomed to being turned out that way).

MudHog":15ogft46 said:
That makes sense. What did you use for gates? Made them with wood or used metal gates?

All factory-built pipe gates. Some that I salvaged from the old pens and the rest bought new. The salvaged ones were the red medium duty ones, and the bought ones are the heavier green ones. I'll try to take a few pictures and post them in a day or two.

Rafter S":tpa35isl said:
MudHog":tpa35isl said:
That makes sense. What did you use for gates? Made them with wood or used metal gates?

All factory-built pipe gates. Some that I salvaged from the old pens and the rest bought new. The salvaged ones were the red medium duty ones, and the bought ones are the heavier green ones. I'll try to take a few pictures and post them in a day or two.

I'm interested in some pictures if you can get some. I priced out material based on your list and not a bad price overall.

52 – 1x6x16 treated SYP @ $ 12.00 each totaling $ 624.00
5 – 1x6x14 treated SYP @ $ 10.45 each totaling $ 52.25
5 – 1x6x8 treated SYP @ $ 5.99 each totaling $ 29.95
21 – 8"x9 post treated SYP @ $ 52.30 each totaling $ 1,098.30
24 – 4"x8 post treated SYP @ $ 12.12 each totaling $ 290.88

Grand total of $ 2095.38 + any applicable taxes.

MudHog":11o2npuo said:
Rafter S":11o2npuo said:
MudHog":11o2npuo said:

I'm interested in some pictures if you can get some. I priced out material based on your list and not a bad price overall.

52 – 1x6x16 treated SYP @ $ 12.00 each totaling $ 624.00
5 – 1x6x14 treated SYP @ $ 10.45 each totaling $ 52.25
5 – 1x6x8 treated SYP @ $ 5.99 each totaling $ 29.95
21 – 8"x9 post treated SYP @ $ 52.30 each totaling $ 1,098.30
24 – 4"x8 post treated SYP @ $ 12.12 each totaling $ 290.88

Grand total of $ 2095.38 + any applicable taxes.

Don't forget the gates. They'll add up quick.

1x6 isnt strong enough for pens. I use rough 2 inch and even it gets a work out. And a lot of it is belted with 1/2" rubber belt, so it spreads the load.

Supa Dexta":3v1nvmpa said:
1x6 isnt strong enough for pens. I use rough 2 inch and even it gets a work out. And a lot of it is belted with 1/2" rubber belt, so it spreads the load.

It's strong enough for my cattle. Of course I don't get to chasing them and whooping and hollering so they bounce off either.

I used 1x6 on my corral put my post on 6 ft centers and put up 7 boards high with a cattle pannel behind the boards. I have had several cows and calves to try to get out and so far none have been able to.

My corral and sweep leading up to my chute is all built with 1x6" rough sawn hemlock. Its been there more years than I can remember and its had lots of cattle ran through it and never had any trouble with the boards. But like Rafter my cows are calm and I don't need to chase them thru, if I had an animal tearing up my facilities it would be on the truck out of here.

Rough cut full 1 x 6's, with posts at 48", are plenty strong. And my cattle aren't angels, but I do like to work then slow and easy, and since they see a man on foot more than once or twice a year it's not a problem.

Metal is the only way to go.
I have a real nice working pen but no drawings.
I'll try and scetch it out.
It was built entirely in AC's head. He did good on it.
It's more long rectangular shape than most I see. Three pens in a row and a long alley beside them that is a two pens itself. We can load three or four pots from it or work a lot of cattle through it easily.
I need to add two more pens to it and they need a cover. Need them for sick pens and when we are working them it would help to have one more.
We didn't build it as a bud box but it is almost one and works like one somewhat.
Lots of good videos on YouTube of bud boxes and they look great.

jedstivers":hmkkth5z said:
Oh if you go to my Instagram page or Facebook you'll see a few pics of it. They really weren't taken to show pens though.
Instagram is Jedstivers
FB is Jed Stivers Anderson.

All you pics are private on FB
Friends my be able to see them ?

Cross-7":1aewe9b9 said:
jedstivers":1aewe9b9 said:
Oh if you go to my Instagram page or Facebook you'll see a few pics of it. They really weren't taken to show pens though.
Instagram is Jedstivers
FB is Jed Stivers Anderson.

All you pics are private on FB
Friends my be able to see them ?
They aren't supposed to be. Course I don't really know how to set it up either. I have trouble with FB and really don't like it.

Supa Dexta":2n9jb4xh said:
What does a 'cattle panel behind the boards' mean?

It means there's a cattle pannel behind the boards staple to the post. It helps support the boards when something hits them.

pricefarm":34im0fy3 said:
Supa Dexta":34im0fy3 said:
What does a 'cattle panel behind the boards' mean?

It means there's a cattle pannel behind the boards staple to the post. It helps support the boards when something hits them.

Correct. Adds a lot of strength and at $20 for a 16 ft section I found it to an economical option.

So on the inner sides of the alley for example, that the cows rub against. 'Behind' had me wondering. And yes, that would make a noticeable difference in strength.