Wood Feed Trough

Help Support CattleToday:

i see no advantages using wood feedtroughs.the wood troughs dont last long at all.their life is prolly 3yrs or so.an they cost the fire out of you.i use the poly feed troughs an have for years.they cost me about $120 ea for a 11ft trough.an they last for like 10yrs fore the legs rust off.

I don't run any bulls with my cows but when I did it seemed like the bulls would tear up just about anything made from wood. Whether just rubbing, scratching, playing or "fencing" with an imaginary bull, if you could build it, they could tear it up.

Best troughs I've ever had were homemade. Buy three 55 gal plastic drums, cut them in half longways, then bolt two halves end-to-end and a third half to the end of one of those in a "T" shape. Repeat. Two troughs for the cost of 3 drums and a handful of 3/8" bolts.

Troughs are pretty much indestructible and lightweight. Best part is if an animal falls into them, they mash the trough flat and can get up. I've seen animals stuck on their backs in conventional bunks.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2457lp1k said:
Best troughs I've ever had were homemade. Buy three 55 gal plastic drums, cut them in half longways, then bolt two halves end-to-end and a third half to the end of one of those in a "T" shape. Repeat. Two troughs for the cost of 3 drums and a handful of 3/8" bolts.

Troughs are pretty much indestructible and lightweight. Best part is if an animal falls into them, they mash the trough flat and can get up. I've seen animals stuck on their backs in conventional bunks.

cfpinz
Here we go again. I think I have an original idea and find somebodies already done it. :cry2:
You are right I have had some up for the last 3 years and they look the same as when I put them up. I use them for mineral, feed and cut them the other way to make small water trough.

What kind of wood are yall using ? I have one on skids that is over ten years old. Tree top fell on it in Rita and I had to reroof it . Cows are feeding minerals out of it 365.

Caustic Burno":3n4p9bud said:
What kind of wood are yall using ? I have one on skids that is over ten years old. Tree top fell on it in Rita and I had to reroof it . Cows are feeding minerals out of it 365.

My Dad built one like that for my brother back in the 80's for a mineral feeder and it is still going strong. Wish he was still around to help me design something to feed small square bales in.

This is why I like asking all of these "dumb" questions. Everyone has so many little tricks that are great ideas to be shared...

My only concern with wodden feeders is the types of fasteners that are used. A lot of folks just use nails or screws, that's just a short slide to animals injesting small metal objects. Through bolts although more work up front saves on repairs and possible hardware problems in the long run.

I build troughs by placing 3 half barells end to end (9' long) and using deck screws and fender washers to attach them to 2 8' landscape timbers. The timbers are laid out parrallel to each other about 6 inches apart and the end barrels will over hang the end of the timbers about 6 inches on each end. If you like you can make a tow loop by attaching a 2 ft piece of nylon rope by using fence steeples to nail 1 end of the rope to 1 timber and the other end to the other timber.
These troughs are very durable, easy to move and inexpensive.

Texas PaPaw":17f855kl said:
I build troughs by placing 3 half barells end to end (9' long) and using deck screws and fender washers to attach them to 2 8' landscape timbers. The timbers are laid out parrallel to each other about 6 inches apart and the end barrels will over hang the end of the timbers about 6 inches on each end. If you like you can make a tow loop by attaching a 2 ft piece of nylon rope by using fence steeples to nail 1 end of the rope to 1 timber and the other end to the other timber.
These troughs are very durable, easy to move and inexpensive.

Thanks for that tip. That one, plus the other barrell trough ideas were worth more than the price of admission tonight.

I use the half drums as well, but I just use them by there self. When they get water in them it is easy to dump it out.
They push them around, but that doesn't hurt them, and it is easy for me to move them as well.

All we use is wood feed troughs. We us ones mad out of 2" thick creasote treated wood with 4x4" legs that are really braced up. We don't like the poly ones becasue they are low to the ground and when a calf or cow steps in them they have a tendancy to go right on through. They are nice and light though andcanbe moved by one person. Just my thoughts.

I was reading about the wooden feed troughs and I wanted to tell you about the troughs I build. My step-father started building these troughs about 27 years ago and I have seen some of them that are over 15 years old and still standing. The material we use has changed some. I use ground rated treated lumber for the skids, sides and ends. The floor is made of (micro-lam) wood 1 1/4inch thick. The roof is metal, the color usually doesn't match because of it being bought at sale price. I think my troughs will still last 10 years. That would be a cost of only 28 dollars a year.

cfpinz":1eynko0k said:

cfpinz

I build similar troughs out of plastic barrels except I bolt 10 sections(30ft) end to end and attach treated 16' 2x4s with deck screws on the side of the barrel sections near the ground. The 4 sections on each end have a board only on 1 side while the 2 center section have boards on both sides. You can make them whatever length that fits your needs.

Like cfpinz, I have found the troughs inexpensive, user friendly, very durable and animals don't get trapped when falling into them like the store bought ones. BTW-have found it best to use the darkest color (blue) barrels I can buy as they seem to not get brittle like the white ones. Also I use food grade barrels if at all possible.

I use the plastic drums as well, but I just cut them in half length wise and don't fasten them together.
It keeps the cows more spread out, and they are easy to move.
Plus it's easier to dump the rain water out of them.

We are using wood troughs. Ship lapped bottoms with 2 x 6 sides and ends, all hardwood lumber off our mill. We have started using semi trailer tires as legs. Stack two and bolt them together and then bolt them to the trough. We drill drain holes in the ends of the troughs and some through the tires so they won't hold water. The tires have a little give, and seem to discourage calves standing in them. Better figure moving them with a loader, though.

KenB":1gm3o8r9 said:
I use the plastic drums as well, but I just cut them in half length wise and don't fasten them together.
That may be a better idea. The problem I really have when they are all bolted together is getting the snow out of them, it is real easy to drill drain holes for water but a few of those bolted together and a few inches of snow it is too heavy for me to flip over. In muddy areas the cows also stand in them and get alot of mud and crap in them. I use the barrels for feeding out on pasture and when I move the feeder alot, tie them to the pick up and drive and they follow.

hayray":1295re62 said:
KenB":1295re62 said:
That may be a better idea. The problem I really have when they are all bolted together is getting the snow out of them, it is real easy to drill drain holes for water but a few of those bolted together and a few inches of snow it is too heavy for me to flip over. In muddy areas the cows also stand in them and get alot of mud and crap in them. I use the barrels for feeding out on pasture and when I move the feeder alot, tie them to the pick up and drive and they follow.
I just use a shovel to clear the snow out of feeders

Latest posts