Wood chips from powerline cleanup crews

Help Support CattleToday:

Wood chips make incredibly good compost for trees. I have cattle and pecan trees, and if you mix some manure with the wood chips and let it compost for a year, it is the best thing you can possibly put around most trees. Turns out it's even better than Chicken Manure for Trees.

Not sure if my other comment got posted. Wood chips are the absolute best possible mulch for Trees. Far better than chicken manure or cow manure by itself. Mix wood chips with manure and let it Compost for at least a year. Put approximately a half an inch around the drip line and further out from the trees.

If you're wanting a pile of wood chips to decay for plant bedding or mulch sprinkle some nitrogen fertilizer on the pile from time to time, and stir it. Breaks down pretty quick.

I live in the middle of a National Forest. the very last thing I want here is more seed bearing trees.

My wet rainy season generally runs from January thru July, then from Oct thru January.

Grind em up, add chicken chit and feed it to your Corrientes.....:D :LOL: :LOL:

I let them dump a couple loads several years ago in a low spot. Cows and calves scattered the piles. Bermuda grew through it and is doing ok. Filled the small depression just fine.

Last edited:
Grind em up, add chicken chit and feed it to your Corrientes.....:D :LOL: :LOL:

I let them dump a couple loads several years ago in a low spot. Cows and calves scattered the piles. Bermuda grew through it and is doing ok. Filled the small depression just fine.

I have some low places that I'd like to get filled in. I've thought about trying to get a few loads the next time I see that crew come through.

I got 6 truck loads last week from a crew on my country road. I mix it with cow manure to make compost and mulch trees and garden plants with it. Also works well to put on bare ground to stop erosion and give grass a chance to take hold.

Wood chips make incredibly good compost for trees. I have cattle and pecan trees, and if you mix some manure with the wood chips and let it compost for a year, it is the best thing you can possibly put around most trees. Turns out it's even better than Chicken Manure for Trees.
Unrelated to the original post but I also have cattle and pecan trees, where are you located?

I got 6 truck loads last week from a crew on my country road. I mix it with cow manure to make compost and mulch trees and garden plants with it. Also works well to put on bare ground to stop erosion and give grass a chance to take hold.
What do you do? Shovel up green manure and mix it in? Do you wet it also?

What do you do? Shovel up green manure and mix it in? Do you wet it also?
I gather it with the front end loader from my feed lot and most concentrated areas with a little shoveling. Mother nature adds water. I just mix it all together with the loader and wheelbarrow it to my garden.

It helps to know what kind of trees are in the mix. If there's oak, pine, or cedar, for instance, you need to let it age for a while before putting it in your garden. They can be antimicrobial and will kill your soil organisms. They're really good for garden paths, to start with, because they keep weeds out.

Mine would have been mostly pine and the lesser % red/white oak, with a little sweetgum mixed in. Lots of ground up pine cones and of course, pine seeds. I don't mulch anything with it. I don't want the oak tannin or the pine acid.

Many years ago (the 60s) my father had about 6 dump trucks of rice hulls dropped on about 1/10 acre lawn area to build up the elevation, spread them and worked them into the black gumbo with a double breaking plow. They were free, but it was awful. The hulls soured and stunk to high heaven and the area stayed soggy year round.

I'm in South Texas, Seguin, about 30 miles east of San Antonio. I'm Mike Willard. If you are who I think you are, then I've been to your place for the last pecan short course last spring. I've been seriously looking into woodchips, and I think they are more than a passing fad. In particular, there is something called Ramial woodchips that do not need to be composted. I've been getting together with Troy Swift near Lockhart on all this. If you are interested, my e-mail is [email protected]

I'm in South Texas, Seguin, about 30 miles east of San Antonio. I'm Mike Willard. If you are who I think you are, then I've been to your place for the last pecan short course last spring. I've been seriously looking into woodchips, and I think they are more than a passing fad. In particular, there is something called Ramial woodchips that do not need to be composted. I've been getting together with Troy Swift near Lockhart on all this. If you are interested, my e-mail is [email protected]
Small world, I'll shoot you an email

Haha yeah I know who you are! I didn't see this before I sent the email. Leroy was out here pruning for me. I haven't met Troy but I know who he is. I'll check out the wood chips, thanks! Glad to see you on the forums

Latest posts