Wonders of nature

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Just had to share this.Been around cattle for several years and there's always something that amazes me with them
A first time heifer was having a little dificulty having her calf and we had to pull it.She was down and luckly it was an easy pull by hand. She couldn't get up for a while so I started cleaning the calf off and put it next to her and got a teat in it's mouth and it immeadetly started nursing.
Meanwhile another first time mother who had a calf 2 days before was watching the ordeal. Pretty chilly so I got back in the truck to warm up.The other mother came over and started cleaning up the little newborn.Every once in a while she would nudge the down mother.This went on for about a half an hour.I'm just setting in the truck watching,and of course with no camera.
Finally with several nudgings from the mother that came to help the downed cow got up staggered around a little until she got her hind legs working,she started cleaning the little calf.All is well this morning. Had 4 first timers and all have healthy calfs on the ground.

Cal

cows are amazing when it comes to things like that.an you can learn alot by watching them.i had a show cow calve years ago early 1 morning,an he she kept walking round me as i checked her calf mooing.an i was like you done good.so i went to school.checked her when i got home an she had the 2nd twin.now i knew then she was telling me im gonna have twins.

I would find it very interesting to hear of some of the amazing things that happend with cattle from some of the rest of the CT members.
Feel free to add some of your amazing things that has happened. :)

Cal

Calman":1y0ax4uo said:
I would find it very interesting to hear of some of the amazing things that happend with cattle from some of the rest of the CT members.
Feel free to add some of your amazing things that has happened. :)

Cal
good and the bad :cowboy:

Some years ago we bought a couple of weanling heifers and a weanling steer from the same farm. Bred the heifers and left the steer with the herd. When one of the heifers satrted to calf the goofy steer went up and head butted the calf back inside the heifer. Everytime the head would come out the steer would push it back in. He was just basicly doing the headbutt game like he did with the other calves. The heifer stood up after a couple of times and butted the steer so hard she laid him out on the ground. She promptly layed down and finsihed calving. The steer never went near another cow calving.

why is it that they can get in any perdicament, and fight with it for hour's. then you show up to help out.. then all of a sudden bam! they figure it out :cowboy:

great stories there Calman & dun... these animals never cease to amaze me in what they DO, or DONT do...

Last year I went out to do chores in the am to find 3 cows standing in the door of the barn facing out while a steer outside kept trying to get in. The mama's took turns bashing him and chasing him off. When I got to the barn to investigate I found that they were keeping the steer out of the barn because one of the heifers had just had her calf in there and was busy caring for the calf. Those cows stayed in the barn door until the new mama was ready to bring the calf out a few hours later.

One of my favorites is how momma takes the calf for a stroll around the perimeter fence and then just as the calf is interested in the electric fence momma gives it a nudge into the fence so it gets a good wack to the nose. Usually only takes once or twice for the calf to figure things out.

Im just impressed they can drop a calf on its head and the dang thing lives. Try that with a human baby and see what happens. Humans have to be the biggest pansies of the animal group.

I've always been impressed by the baby sitter routine... good cows can do it better than people do. Fifty babies laying under a tree with three or four mommas nearby while every other cow on the place is a quarter mile away grazing on the hillside and you'd better believe that if you touch a single calf every one of those babysitters will act like it's hers.

cow pollinater":282s4l4k said:
I've always been impressed by the baby sitter routine... good cows can do it better than people do. Fifty babies laying under a tree with three or four mommas nearby while every other cow on the place is a quarter mile away grazing on the hillside and you'd better believe that if you touch a single calf every one of those babysitters will act like it's hers.
Our old bull used to do that. Mommas not in sight and a ton bull with a bunch of tiny calves gathered around him just laying around contented.

In one pasture we have a bull and 39 weened calves.4 of these calvs we left as bulls.Everytime I go to check cattle the bull and the bull calves are off to themselves. Almost like the young bulls thinks it's cool to follow the old bull around. :)

Cal

Cal there are so many.

Right now in the pasture I have a Brimmer Char F-1 cow. She's the guard. As long as no one is calving, she's good. If you are expecting a calf, don't look for the cow that is calving, look for this F-1. She stands out in color and is always around guarding the new mom.

If you are looking for new born calves, you can look for this gal too. She's the baby sitter. She can be off by herself grazing and there'll be 10 to 12 month old calves hanging with her.

backhoeboogie":21e8j3od said:
Cal there are so many.

Right now in the pasture I have a Brimmer Char F-1 cow. She's the guard. As long as no one is calving, she's good. If you are expecting a calf, don't look for the cow that is calving, look for this F-1. She stands out in color and is always around guarding the new mom.

If you are looking for new born calves, you can look for this gal too. She's the baby sitter. She can be off by herself grazing and there'll be 10 to 12 month old calves hanging with her.

My old nurse cow never ceased to amaze me, lost a cow and found her with the new calf nurseing it.
Never have had another one like her. She would take any calf and watch the others.

Caustic Burno":2k7p3z9d said:
backhoeboogie":2k7p3z9d said:
Cal there are so many.

My old nurse cow never ceased to amaze me, lost a cow and found her with the new calf nurseing it.
Never have had another one like her. She would take any calf and watch the others.

Have a 4yr old moma like that CB. She tries to steal every calf in the pasture. And them little fellers are glad to get a free meal. :)

Cal

Latest posts