Wobbly calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Rahe Family Belties

Reaction score
I have a 10 day old Angus X Charolais calf that has shown to be wobbly on his rear end when he first gets up in the morning. I do not see it later in the day. He returns to the barn lot during the day and spends his time there in the shade or near a hay ring until the cows come in about 5.

Have noticed it a few times when I let cows out of the drylot to pasture each morning. This morning he fell over, but got back on his feet immediately and followed momma. About 100 feet later he looked to be perfect.

Calf was born easy, was vigorous and up nursing in 30 minutes and momma looks to be doing OK as a milker. calf is growing and in good condition.

You think he is just sleepy in the morning or does he need a vitamin or mineral?

He may be developing some acidosis. He is in the right age group and showing those signs, but it should not be just in the morning. I place those calves on electrolytes, make sure there is a buffer in it, either bicarbonate or acetate. If they get to where they really have trouble getting up, they would likely need IV therapy.

Personally I would give him a shot of Bose, Muse, or Multimin. Sounds like it could be a Selenium deficiency to me. :2cents:

branguscowgirl":2zuy1g5r said:
Personally I would give him a shot of Bose, Muse, or Multimin. Sounds like it could be a Selenium deficiency to me. :2cents:

Especially if you didn't already give multi-min after birth.

Latest posts