Withdrawal time for Pirsue

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
The label says 36 hour withdrawal with a maximum of 2 treatments, but...

...anyone ever ran an antibiotic test on a cow treated with Pirsue and had it come back positive? No matter how heavy a dose we've treated with or no matter how long, we've never had one come back positive when running a test 36-48 hours after. And you'd think after 8 days that you'd have a longer-than-normal withdrawal!

I notice most of the antibiotic on-farm tests a person can buy test for the penicillins (penn G, cephipirin, amoxicillin, etc), think I've seen one or two that covers ceftiofur (Spectramast), and the tetracyclines like oxytet -- but nothing that will test for pirlimycin aka Pirsue.

Just had to wonder if anyone else has had cows come back "hot" with a post-treatment antibiotic test....or might it be possible that there isn't a standard test, even at the creameries, to detect Pirsue residues? Seems kind of odd where it's so commonly used, but I suppose it's possible.

:???:

You have nothing to worry about. We treat cows with pirsue, sometimes 5 treatments and 36 hours later they go in the line, EVERYTIME. We never run a sample on Pirsue or Spectramast cows for that matter. 72 Hours of course on the Spectramst, but Pirsue has never, ever, been an issue. Keep rollin!

Latest posts