With Rain and Without

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
This was taken just before being cut. Didn't rain much after till October.
View attachment 1

Same field two years later. Has had only 8/10's since the 15th of May. Looks a lot greener in the picture than it really is.

Can you find the rainbow? Today's rain was about 8 miles to the east, yesterday's was less than a mile.

Saw the rainbow right off the bat and was going to comment on it. Looks like the same type rainbows I've been seeing - not as arched. This could be a sign of what I'm calling doughnut weather. It rains everywhere but on us. Some folks have gotten inches of rain in one downpour but I've received about the same as you. It hurts.

Really amazing the difference a little rain can make. We were like that 3 years ago and had the same situation. I could stand in my yard and watch it raining 1/2 mile down the road, but not at our place. Truely frustrating...

It has been raining sporatically around the area, just hasn't been our turn yet. Temps have been holding in the mid 90's but the grass, if we had any we wanted to cut for hay we could cut it in the morning and bale it in the afternoon. It is that dry. The count now is 58 days on 8/10ths. Still have some grass to graze but the ole cows are beginning to want something better. Starting to pick some calves off the cows and send them down the road. Thankfully calf weights are looking pretty good.

Its really nerve racking here if you are wanting to cut hay cause our chances or rain are really high. Problem is we just don't get any unless of course you are foolish enough to cut some.

ANAZAZI":17h6o1cm said:
Grandpa told me about rain; but I have never witnessed it myself!

:lol2: He77, I think I'd take ice cubes if I could get em.

Had a storm brew up this afternoon that couldn't miss....View attachment 2 Yea right, no way it could miss View attachment 1 Find the letters CLL, we are just under the first L. Can't turn a water faucet off any better than that. Barely enough to run off the roof.

We are getting some rain tonight.
marion_radar_640x480.jpg

Dang Vet, it just jumped right over you. Been having the same luck. When you think it can't miss you it just finds some way to do just that.

Jogeephus":1kqx6xna said:
Dang Vet, it just jumped right over you. Been having the same luck. When you think it can't miss you it just finds some way to do just that.

Glad I'm not dependant on rain for hay this year, but I was hoping to take advantage of that and put an effort towards better pasture management. I'm managing pasture all right, instead of managing growing grass I'm managing lack of growing grass. Kind of looks like August of 2006 around here now so the new goal is to keep the pastures from looking like September '06. The abundance of grass I had in May is about gone so I started putting out hay yesterday. Used some that was a bit coarse, kinda checking to see how hungry they are. I don't want them to get lazy and just look for a handout but I don't want the grass eat down to the dirt either. Going into August as dry as it is now won't take them long to eat it down. Beginning to see a lot of cattle comming in to the local auction barn showing signs of lack of good forage.

With 3 pastures I have had different rains over the past 2 months.
Pasture 1 - no rain
1/2 mile away
Pasture 2 - 3 1/2 inches
10 miles further
Pasture 3 - 1 inch
Never can tell where they are going or if they will play out just before they reach you.

Hind *itty :!: TN. Yesterdays shower... Did get enought to drip off the roof this time.

Novatech I know what you are saying, I have an 80 acre pasture that is about 3 miles SE of my home place that got 3/4 of an inch 9 days ago. But it had been getting less every time it rained than the home place. I have a neighbor that lives less than 2/10ths of a mile SW from me that always gets at least a 1/10th of and inch more than I do. I even bought us identical guages to make sure the calibrations were the same. :lol2:

Latest posts