winter wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
Would someone who has a better handle on wheat for winter grazing please run/walk me through the calendar from start to finish? Do you eventually take the animals off and let it mature? Boone

Winter wheat is planted to help out with declining hay towards March and April. This year we planted rye for the first time because we heard it grew 3x faster than winter wheat. We plan on either grazing it, or chopping it for feed for our dairy cows. As far as letting it mature, and then what? cutting it, is that what you mean, I don't think that is done, stricltly pasture or green chopping, although I could be wrong.

GMN

When it doesn;t burn off after gemination, we graze it when it's about 6-8 inches, pull the cows off when it's down to 3-4 inches. We either cut it for hay when it reaches the dough stage or let it mature and combine it for the seed, cut it and bale it and use it for straw. Problem is that when we use it for straw the cows eat it like candy. Probably more tasty then old nasty fescue hay.

dun

Latest posts