Winter wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

yes you can grow winter wheat close to houston.wheat or rye grass thats up to you.they both make great winter grazing.

And the wintering population of millions of snow geese and specklebellies just love those wheat and ryegrass fields. :mad: 10,000 snows can really do a number on a field of either wheat or ryegrass in a couple of days but, at least in my experience, they aren't as interested in oats. But up among the pine trees northeast of Houston you might not have much to worry about CowpokeJ.

When would be the right time to grow "winter wheat".
If your location was ,,10 +/- miles north of Innerstate 10?

Where can I get some to plant?

I was visiting with a older cattleman who lives south of Lindsey
OK.
He was telling me that He had about 10 acres of native grass and wheat, he said that the wheat had lasted 5 years , I guess it re seeds.
He also made a interesting comment, He said he would never let
bred heifers graze on the wheat , because he had problems with heifers having larger then average calves.
I've never thought about that,
Can your heifer get to much protien?

MULDOON":jvtqvcbm said:

I don't remember exactly when we used to plant it, but I know it's planted somewhere around mid-fall up here, but your area could be different. It's called 'winter wheat' because it is planted in the fall, comes up, goes dormant with the first hard frost, then resumes growing the following spring when the ground warms up.

Usually, the same place you buy any other crop seed.

He was telling me that He had about 10 acres of native grass and wheat, he said that the wheat had lasted 5 years , I guess it re seeds.

Yes, it will. It's called volunteer wheat at that point - at least up here.

bred heifers graze on the wheat , because he had problems with heifers having larger then average calves.

Yes, they can - especially in the last trimester. During that period over-feeding protein tends to go to the calf and can result in some hugh calves. Feeding too much protein during the 1st and 2nd trimester can result in excessively fat heifers, which can result in difficulty calving. I would imagine it can also happen with cows, but heifers are more prevalent.

msscamp":3kb0toxz said:
MULDOON":3kb0toxz said:

I don't remember exactly when we used to plant it, but I know it's planted somewhere around mid-fall up here, but your area could be different. It's called 'winter wheat' because it is planted in the fall, comes up, goes dormant with the first hard frost, then resumes growing the following spring when the ground warms up.

Yes, they can - especially in the last trimester. During that period over-feeding protein tends to go to the calf and can result in some hugh calves. Feeding too much protein during the 1st and 2nd trimester can result in excessively fat heifers, which can result in difficulty calving. I would imagine it can also happen with cows, but heifers are more prevalent.
So, are you telling me while the rye grass will grow all winter, the wheat will go dormant? That means no eating?

CowpokeJ":36glic4w said:
msscamp":36glic4w said:
MULDOON":36glic4w said:

So, are you telling me while the rye grass will grow all winter, the wheat will go dormant? That means no eating?

Not at all, I stated what happens in my area - which is Wyoming. Your winters are much milder than ours are, so I doubt it would be a problem for you - especially since I've read numerous posts on these boards regarding the popularity of grazing winter wheat. Rye grass also goes dormant up here, as does every other type of grass known to man - if it will even grow here in the first place! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts